Cali EV fuel injection

iant-s

Cali EV fuel injection

Post by iant-s » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:30 pm

I cannot get my 1998 EV Guzzi California based car to start. It last ran perfectly 2 years ago and has been stripped and rebuilt over that time. I have tried everything I know but have run out of ideas so am looking for advice and any ideas. I have all the documents and wiring diagrams printed off and available.
From my diagnosis, the problem is that there is no negative switched signal to the injectors. I have pressurised petrol at the injectors. I have constant 12 volts at each injector fed from the CPU relay. If I apply 12 volts + and - to an injector it squirts petrol into the inlet. Whilst I have tested each sensor as much as possible with a multimeter, one or more might be failed, but they all appear to be doing the correct things as described in the books.
The manuals tell me the injectors have a constant 12 volt supply to them and are operated by the CPU providing the negative and so opening the injector at the exact time and duration of squirt. It is not doing this and I am stumped.
I have compression and the exhaust and intakes are all clear. I have good sparks which appear in time to the cylinders.
Has anyone seen such a situation before? I have spent 3 days on it now!!! Can anyone help please.

Doverhay

Re: Cali EV fuel injection

Post by Doverhay » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Have you drained the old fuel and refreshed with new? Modern fuel just doesn’t age very well. Just a thought 🤔

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 pm

When I built my EFI engined Triking last year I couldn't get it to run initially either. So after all the obvious things to check I did other things like;
Swap the injector plugs over and trying it
Swap the plug leads over and trying it
Put the injector plugs back where they were and trying it
Finally put the plug leads back where they were.
Double check the sensor plugs are on the right sensors
Soaked a couple of small pieces of rag in petrol and placed in the injector opening and tried it - I've done it several times over the years with engines that wouldn't start and it's been useful.

None of the above got the engine running and I'd checked for a spark at the plugs but - when I spray painted the engine I'd got silver paint over the plug insulators and after I cleaned it off the engine ran ok - apart from needing the injectors serviced as one was sticky..

You may have done most or all of the above but I've always found it helpful to be able to definitely rule things out like crossed leads etc. Is it Sherlock Holmes who said "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth"

Good luck
Dave

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:38 pm

I have had a good suggestion from a Guzzi club member who has pointed out that the ground connection which is provided by the CPU to open the injector is of such a short duration that a multimeter cannot respond to it fast enough. He suggests an oscilloscope - which I can get hold of. Getting deep now Chaps!

Another has told me of an injected Triumph where he found the injectors would work when a battery was connected to them, but not from the CPU. No we this sounds familiar. He said it had stood for 3 years and the old petrol had gummed the injectors up so they WOULD open but slowly. Also the CPU only provides an electronic ground via a transistor. It's not a "solid" connection to earth such as a relay would provide. His solution was simply to get the injectors properly cleaned.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:04 pm

I had my injectors cleaned and serviced by this company and was pleased with the result, they know about the injector type and have the necessary parts to service it in stock..

https://injectortune.co.uk/index.html