Triking Transporter

EricStarmer

Triking Transporter

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:16 am

I finally finished (pretty much) my Triking transporter. I bought a used Sprinter van (148" wheelbase, standard roof) having decided I could (just) get Bluebottle inside it. My original plan was to build 3 ramps so that I could drive it in backwards, so that the front wheels could sit behind the wheelwells. After further consideration, I realised that because of the low ground clearance this wouldn't work, as the chassis would bottom out on the back of the van floor while I was loading it. Revised my plans, which entailed more work to extend the ramps inside the van, over the wheel wells - now the car could go in forwards, which I preferred anyway. I also decided to winch it in , rather than driving it in, as I knew that if I drove it in I would have to slip the clutch to get it up the ramps without stalling, and worried about hitting the divider between the front and back of the van.
It turns out that , at least on my Triking, the rear wheel is exactly centred on the front wheels, and not one inch to the left .
Bottom line is , it goes in, and has about 3/4" clearance on each side at the back doors, and a couple of inches clearance each end fore and aft .
Looking forward to driving to the Oregon coast soon, which involves 200 miles of busy motorway/ highways to get there, which wouldn't be any fun in the Triking. Once at the coast the roads are a lot more friendly and fun, so when we get there we can unload Bluebottle and take off.
Attachments
Ramps 1.jpg
Ramps 2.jpg
Ramps 3.jpg

Richard and Pat

Re: Triking Transporter

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am

Jolly good work Eric, I thought you said your woodwork was not up to snuff?
Where are the fold down beds?
Excellent.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 am

Well engineered Eric.
It could double up as garaging, relieving space in the workshop for the next build.
Enjoy the trips.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Richard - I can hammer nails and screw screws, but anything involving "fine" woodworking, like cabinetry, I have no patience (or skill) for.
Folding beds ? Don't you realise that the most comfortable sleep you can have is in a Triking seat !

" I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa did -
not screaming in terror like the passenger in his Triking" :D

Oily

Post by Oily » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:37 pm

ImageThis is my transporting set up......works perfectly and has been to Italy, France & Germany so far this year. The only downside being the ferry price. Jersey to St. Malo (return) with high top camper & trailer (a 90 minute crossing) can be £750!
Attachments
19303BC7-B426-4225-8DC6-E99155AFC3DD.jpeg

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Looks great, Oily - that's quite a trip/trips - with those ferry rates I guess you have to go as many places as possible each trip ! I considered a trailer, but I needed to replace my old Chevy Astro van anyway, and I decided that the Sprinter van by itself would be easier to park than a van + trailer, and when the Triking's not inside I can also using it for hauling building material, furniture etc, as a sheet of plywood will fit in between the ramps.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Looks like you were right after all, Tony, as far as the rear wheel being 1 inch to the left of centre. The last few times I've loaded/unloaded the car, the rear wheel wants to go off the LHS of the centre ramp. I'll try moving the ramp 1" to the left and see if that helps. The first time I loaded it must have been an anomaly.