Just had an accident

David Q

Just had an accident

Post by David Q » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 am

Hi All,

I've just had an accident in my Type 2, with someone running into the back of me while I was indicating to turn left (on a RHS road). He ended up with the front of his car sitting on my rear wheel, but luckily neither Avril nor I were injured. It took about 40mins for the police and two tow-trucks to show us, and we couldn't move the cars before then. Bluebelle (my car) is now back in the garage, and I'm waiting for an appraiser to decide what to do. Here's a Link to some photos I took of the scene:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ko4kiozvdcxv ... hM6Xa?dl=0

The rear end is really destroyed (the boot lid flew over our heads and ended up on the street in front of us) so I think I'll need either a new Type 2 or 3 (which Alan says should fit). I'll have to look to see whether the chassis is bent (nothing obvious at my present quick look), but none of the rear wheel, petrol tank or battery appear to be damaged. I think we were both very lucky.

I had already booked for the Yorkshire meeting next year, so have a timescale for getting her back on the road.

I'll let you know how things proceed.

David Q (David & Avril)

merlinart

Re: Just had an accident

Post by merlinart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:57 am

Hi David

That accident looks horrendous, though the rear wheel assembly looks to have prevented the car coming further, but it could have been worse, glad it wasn't and glad you're both OK. The photos show just how diminutive small three wheelers are in comparison with modern cars. it doesn't seem to have dented your enthusiasm, and hope you get stuck back in to complete it as soon as possible.

Arthur

el grifo

Post by el grifo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:16 am

Hi David,
Glad to hear you and Avril are o.k.Same happened to me (type3)
Waiting to join a major road and got hit in the rear by a Pembleton!
Destroyed the fibreglass rear section,r.h exhaust system,dented fuel tank &ha few other bits and bobs.
The insurance co were very good to deal with but the major problem was finding a repairer (I live in Scotland) They can fix your Bentley but......
So we agreed a cash settlement and I did the repairs myself.I had a lot of help and support from Alan and Mark at Aerosport,Thanks again!
The only difficulty was finding a sprayer to paint the new rear end and blend/ match the paint,most refused to even consider painting fibre glass.
All sorted now,
I preferred doing the work myself,I built a Guzzi JZR 20 yrs ago and I think that unlike your daily eurobox you develop a close affinity with your Trike.
Yes I fully agree with the comment about car size nowadays,when I see an original mini on the road it looks so tiny,.I had one and now wonder now 40plus years later how we,family of four used to.fit in it!

Best wishes to you both,keep us informed on the repair progress!
Malcolm J.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Carol and I are really sorry to hear of your rear end shunt, grateful that you are both ok. Will probably take longer for the mental scar to fade than repairing the car.
I remember so well your reports when building Bluebell so now is the chance to make her into a T3 with better access to the rear for maintenance.
Hope your new ‘workshop’ is as spacious as your previous one in France.
Look forward to seeing you both in Yorkshire.
Tony & Carol

steveO

Post by steveO » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi David,

Commiserations from Calgary.

Thank heavens you guys are OK.

As said before, I followed your build sitting in Hyundai's ship yard Korea.

Good luck with rebuild.

Steve

PaulW

Post by PaulW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 pm

David,

Let me join the other Trikingistas and say how relieved I am that you're both OK. The rear bulkhead seems to have stopped the Ford in its tracks, thank goodness. That leads to some interesting thoughts ... the bigger diameter the rear wheel, the more chance such a "mounting" could end up going over the bulkhead and into the cockpit? I'll leave that to the the technical chaps to discuss.

Whatever ... the photos really are quite dramatic, but Avril sitting there defiantly as if nothing had happened is absolutely classic! Good on her and good luck with the repairs and I trust the wazzock in the Focus pays his/her dues!

All the best

Paul

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Dave - so glad nobody was hurt - surprised you didn't get some whiplash though. Maybe the Triking is so light it just got pushed forward and there were minimal "g" forces.
Here in the US we have to wear helmets (at least here in Oregon). I was very unhappy with this, but seeing these photos is making me think differently...… Better not show them to my wife !

frederick

Post by frederick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Glad it wasn't worse.

Here in northern California/SF bay area traffic is horrendous, populated by clueless, texting idiots. Compared to what's on the road these trikes are essentially skateboards and a calamity waiting to happen.

to put my wife's mind at ease, plan is to install asomething like this: https://xpriteusa.com/white-5ft-led-fla ... hip-light/
Quadratec-Trail-Flag-Kit-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ.jpg
that, realizing you are basically invisible and avoiding weekday traffic is about all one can do.

David Q

Post by David Q » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 am

Many thanks for the good wishes and kind thoughts of all of those who have posted. We are really doing fine.

We've had an Appraiser (Gütachter) in to look at Bluebelle (who's up on a stand in my garage now). As far as I can tell (we've not had the full report yet), she's in not to bad shape, but will definitely need new bodywork and a new petrol tank (which has a slight mark on it, but he said that we'll need a new tank to be safe from hairline cracks. Otherwise everything seems to be in good shape. We'll wait for the full report and to hear from the insurance company as to what they propose before doing anything else. I'll keep you all informed.

David

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Glad both OK. Let's hope you make North Yorkshire good luck for the repairs. Debs & Roger