Rear tyre

Tamos

Rear tyre

Post by Tamos » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Have type 3 on order and in process of getting donor parts ready. To begin with I will use the standard 17” California rear wheel but need to replace the tyre. Any recommendations?

Richard and Pat

Re: Rear tyre

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Hello Tamos,
After wearing out a £140 m/c tyre in 2000 miles I changed to a car type wheel with tyres at £70 and have done 11,000 + miles so far so perhaps I am not the best person to comment. However a 'classic bike' type tyre with as square a tread as you can find or a sidecar type tyre perhaps might fit the bill as they have some sidewall strength and a square type cross section.

Doverhay is away at present and he is fairly well up on tyres. What does Alan say?

Good luck in your quest and with your build.

Richard
Just got my engine in tonight in my Mk3 build.

Doverhay

Re: Rear tyre

Post by Doverhay » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Tamos, I’ve tried a selection of tyres and wheel sizes on my T3. I have come to the conclusion that if you like spending money and like changing tyres the standard 17” wheel is great, it gives you plenty of grip as I found to my horror when I tried to slide the rear on a bend in the Alps; however, to give you my conclusion on wheel and tyre combination for the rear I’d have to say that the 15” wheel that Alan offers (mine was the standard Guzzi 18” wheel turned down and a 15” rim welded to it, all done beautifully by Alan) with a 155x15 car rear tyre. Although the outlay is greater initially the savings are well worth the cost. It does throw up a problem of the rear being a little low and if you try to compensate by lowering the front shocks you will find they bottom out on bumpy roads. The best way to compensate is probably increasing the length by around 1” (25mm) of the rear shocks, it also can be done, as some have, by making up brackets to extend the length of the original rear shocks, the later is easier on the pocket. I hope this info helps.