Movement in the Drivetrain

bdaughdrill

Movement in the Drivetrain

Post by bdaughdrill » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 pm

LMs,
Type 3, engine is hard-mounted to and part of the chassis by the through-frame, through-engine bolts and, in theory, it cannot move. The drive shaft goes through three bulkhead bearings which are similarly bolted to the tunnel and therefore IT shouldn't move. The gear shift links forward to this unmoving transmission. In theory it SHOULDN'T move. The only part of the whole system that can or should move is the swing arm and rear wheel but, since the gear shift is at the opposite end, it shouldn't be affected. Post the long run described in my other post, the gear shit is vibrating frantically and fairly violently. I'm pulling out the upholstery to see if I can see where the vibration is coming from, but wondered if anyone had experienced and what specifically I should be looking for.

Also, has anyone employed polyurethane washers in the assembly to minimize "rattling" and to subdue the vibrations in the chassis. Understand, I've sat in mine for 44 hours so it had plenty of opportunity to observe and experience the vibrations. Specifically contemplating between the drive-shaft bulkhead bearings and the tunnel

Weg

Re: Movement in the Drivetrain

Post by Weg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:00 am

The only thing that springs to mind is the alignment of the gearbox output shaft with the first drive shaft.
Any miss-alignment would be taken up by the UJ but would be difficult to see when it is in place. This could then possibly cause a ‘wobble’ with vibration you describe.

When assembling, I bolted the engine in place without the UJ, replacing with a piece of ¾” copper pipe to give a visual check. The self-centreing bearing could then be nipped up in the correct position, filing the holes in the chassis if not allowing movement to correct position.
Move the engine forward, torque down the bearing bolts then finally fit engine with the UJ in place.
Attachments
IMG_0098a.jpg

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Any chance the rubber mounts for the reverse gearbox are loose ?

steveO

Post by steveO » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:21 pm

On the bikes you get a lot of vibration in the right foot board/peg when the swing arm UJ is on its way out. Unfortunately there are two on the Triking so could be either. Their being relatively new does not help. Some people take them off the bike and soak overnight in engine oil, don't know if that makes a difference.
I had the grub screws on the front inner prop shaft bearing missing when I bought, replacing stopped a lot of drumming. The gear change shaking and vibration would suggest drive shaft as the "transmission tunnel" is a sheet metal box.
Steve

bdaughdrill

Post by bdaughdrill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 am

Don’t have a reverse, could easily be u-joint particularly after the 2810 mile jaunt at speed. The drive shaft is “shiny” behind the middle bearing which suggests the shaft itself is moving. Going to disassemble from rear forward until I find the culprit