Build tread (kind of)

EricStarmer

Re: Build tread (kind of)

Post by EricStarmer » Mon May 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi, Berglind - you say you've read all the threads on the forum - I just wanted to check that you've also read the threads in the "old" forum, which has even more great information, which I found invaluable - also the "build guides" are extremely useful. The "old" forum can be found by going to "Quick Links " at the top of this page and scrolling to the bottom.
Happy reading !

Eric

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue May 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello Berlind,

I have a 2002 California USA spec motor in my Triking with a 15M ECU. I drove it all last summer with the stock ECU map and it drove pretty good but there were a few lean back fires every now and then. Knowing it should get a remap I finally broke down and purchased the cables required to connect the ECU to a laptop and downloaded the GuzziDiag free software. If you google GuzziDiag you will find a link with a detailed description of the hardware needed and how to use the software. Pretty straight forward.

I have a Triking map (which I received from another member) that I uploaded to the ECU and after a quick drive it runs noticeably better. I still have to give it a more in-depth test drive but initial impressions are positive.

As I was a bit nervous of frying the ECU, I looked at getting a spare. Moto Guzzi 15M ECUs are quite expensive here in the US but I found quite a few Ducati 15M ECUs from early 2000s Ducatis for about $125 US. I purchased one I found on Ebay that included a voltage reg / rec and coils.

I first made a backup of the stock Guzzi map and saved it to may laptop. I then installed the new Ducati spec ECU and loaded the stock Guzzi map. At this point the Triking started and ran exactly like it did with the stock Guzzi ECU, as expected. This was good news to me as it confirmed that the Ducati spec 15M ECUs and Guzzi 15M ECU were the same with different map / bin file loaded. I then proceeded to load the Triking map and the Triking now drives better than before. I could have skipped buying a spare ECU, backing up the stock file, and loading the stock file in the new ECU, but it was a learning exercise for me and as a plan to play around with mapping software in the future I should it was good insurance. The GuzziDiag software is only for writing and reading maps and small idle adjustments to those maps.

There is another free software for modifying the ECU map called TunerPro. I have not used this yet but it looks interesting.

I know you are quite a ways off from being at this point but when the time comes feel free to reach out if you would like more info / assistance. I know others here on this forum would also offer it as I have had great assistance from others.

Have fun and enjoy the build process.

Ivan

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Wed May 06, 2020 10:17 am

jtdesign wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 pm
Hi Berglind,
The work / life / Triking balance is always difficult - we just need 30 hour days.

With a 2004 bike it is difficult to know weather it had a lambda probe or not - they were introduced around that time, but different countries got them at different times.
If you look at the label on the ECU then an IAW15M does not have a lambda probe and an IAW15RC does.
Thank you John! Since there are no lamda sensors i assume it has a matching ECU. Will check later today. Regarding work i have the lyxury of working just the right amount of time. If i work less i start more expensive projects in my spare time, if i work more i dont have time to spend it. :)
EricStarmer wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:10 pm
Hi, Berglind - you say you've read all the threads on the forum - I just wanted to check that you've also read the threads in the "old" forum, which has even more great information, which I found invaluable - also the "build guides" are extremely useful.
Thanks Eric! I'we read most of it and maybe when the vacation starts i'll sit down and compile a little manual for myself with all the good tips and ideas.
Spaniard wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:38 pm
I have a Triking map (which I received from another member) that I uploaded to the ECU and after a quick drive it runs noticeably better. I still have to give it a more in-depth test drive but initial impressions are positive.

As I was a bit nervous of frying the ECU, I looked at getting a spare. Moto Guzzi 15M ECUs are quite expensive here in the US but I found quite a few Ducati 15M ECUs from early 2000s Ducatis for about $125 US. I purchased one I found on Ebay that included a voltage reg / rec and coils.
Thank you, Ivan! I've read about programming the ECU and the way you tell it it seems quite easy. :D Found cheap ECUs on ebay and think it worth to have something to test with. There are many new and exiting things to learn in this project and i really look forvard to start building.
Many things that i been curious abouth but never really "needed" to learn until now. As a teacher i think one of my dutys is to learn as much as possible, i really dislike to answer "i don't know" when a student ask me something.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 am

It came without the air filter and i have been pondering about if i should get a used one or make one myself. Making one of course takes time but i can adapt it to fit its sorroundings better.
As said before- a novice - does the lengt of the intake tubes have a purpose? Does the chamber before the filter have to be a specific volume?
20200427-034837_f.jpg
20200427-034852_f.jpg
I wont start building until i have the frame and can get all the measurements correctly but i like to plan ahead and have all facts and parts ready then.
[/quote]
I found the pictures of the standard air box used in a Triking. I have no idea who's car it is I'm afraid. The picture was very useful as it helped me to decide against this installation as it uses so much valuable space the way I want to use it.
In addition I chose not to cover in above the passenger foot well as I have mounted my battery in the front and need access to it.
All the best. Richard
Attachments
rsz_035a.jpg
rsz_034a.jpg
Last edited by Richard and Pat on Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Richard and Pat wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 am
I found the pictures of the standard air box used in a Triking. I have no idea who's car it is I'm afraid. The picture was very useful as it helped me I decide against this installation as it uses so much valuable space the way I want to use it.
Funny, those pictures did the same for me. (No offence meant to the builder, we jus have different goals)
I want as much space as possible for luggage and if i do build an airbox it will have use the available space better. The same goes for where the electrics will be mounted, its a balance between protection, ease of maintanance and storage space. I'am very happy for all the pictures both here on the forum and in the groups on facebook. The Morgan m3w uses the available space quite bad, they seem to be focused around cost of production and good looks on the surface. :?

frederick

Post by frederick » Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 am

For footwell battery access I made a fixed “frame” and removable panel to keep the breeze out...Velcro holds it in place. Material is .25” pvc sign board.
23372C49-737A-46AE-878F-30679FA7410E.jpeg
997B3A93-775C-4BC6-9BE4-2050D5BD0AC8.jpeg

colinc

Post by colinc » Sun May 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi there, the aims for your build seem similar to my own so even though mine is a type 4 may be useful to see these photos of where I've got to so far.
I've modified the standard air intake and mounted the coils in the space this saves behind the alternator (similar to Frederick). The extrusions from the bulkhead hide the wiring for which I've created a bespoke loom so that all the sensors on the left are fed from the left side of the air intake and similarly on the right side. They also serve as mountings for the two-tone horns my brother got me for my 50th off a Rolls Silver Shadow.
IMG_2143.jpeg
IMG_2215.jpeg
The fuses, relays and ECU are mounted just behind the bulkhead (occupant side with the battery in the transmission tunnel. This means the area above tunnel to the underside of the bonnet is completely empty.
If I can help with any specifics please let me know

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun May 24, 2020 7:49 pm

You can certainly see the extra room in the T4.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 am

Colin, good work with the 'firewall' and air box position.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Thank you all for your replies! The last weeks have been quite busy but finally all grades are set and the pupils have been set free for the summer.

I continue to gather related stuff and i am thinking about the front wheels. R18 4.0 if i remember correctly? I have to admit to being a bit uncertan about bike tyre sizes. Would a "Michelin Pilot Activ 100/90 - 18" fit?
Or would a "Metzeler Sportec Klassik 110/90 VB 18" be better?
Theres a auction ending on tuesday and the price seems nice (so far)

The steering wheel should arrive at the and of the week but it seems to be stuck somewhere in Germany at the moment...