Weg

New Member in Canada

Post by Weg » Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 am

Welcome to The Forum trfortune.
Canada is a big country, where are you?

trfourtune

Re: New Member in Canada

Post by trfourtune » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi all, new here. I am researching the Triking type 4 online from Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada (Vancouver about 15 miles away). We have very strict rules about kit "cars" importing. The rules say that the kit cannot include a braking system, steering system, drive train, or suspension system. the body cannot be "mounted". I need to research what "system" means. I know that factory 5 cobra kits are imported to Canada with specific parts "missing". the kit is considered a bunch of parts and a list and code number for each and every part must be supplied with the "kit" I'm 6'-2 about 235lbs presently so i figure the type 4 is the way to go.(I used to be lighter many years ago-LOL)

I am presently rebuilding(it's not a restoration since it's very, very rough and could never be an original collector type car) a 1962 triumph tr4 to fast road specs but am looking forward to my next possible project. Having been a motorcycle guy (offroad scrambles racing) and Kart racer I like small quick vehicles but am 56 and time is getting short. Hope to retire in 3 years from engineering. I work for a pulp and paper engineering consulting firm as an industrial engineering designer. My dad was an autobody car repair man and i grew up rebuilding cars with my dad. Worked as a mechanics helper for the B.C. forest service when i got out of high school for a year spinning wrenches. been a motorhead all my life.
Rob

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Welcome to the fun Rob.
Good luck with your quest.
Richard

steveO

Post by steveO » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:59 pm

Hi,
I know a guy in Calgary imported a JZR kit without issues, but he may have been lucky. Another way is the regs say no going back for parts after a kit is delivered, but it does not say you cant buy the parts first. That was my plan before I found a type 1 in the US.
Best Steve in Calgary