Tubeless Tyre on Rim Spoked Wheel

peakrock

Tubeless Tyre on Rim Spoked Wheel

Post by peakrock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm planning to use the rim spoked rear wheel from my Guzzi donor on my Type 3 build. For those that don't know what one is; there is a flange on each rim that the spoke head goes through with the nipple at the hub instead of the spoke head at the hub and the nipple in the middle of the rim. It has much more spoke triangulation than a standard rear wheel so is strong and takes a tubeless tyre, as all the spoke holes are external.

The current tyre size is 140/80 x R17 and I'm wondering, as it's tubeless, if I could fit a car tyre instead, something like a Continental CST 17 T165/80 R17. It has the same aspect ratio and so my main query is whether it would fit on and seal at the rim. What I don't know is whether motorbike tubeless tyres are essentially the same as car tyres when it comes to sealing on the rim. Any advice appreciated..

Dave

frederick

Re: Tubeless Tyre on Rim Spoked Wheel

Post by frederick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:39 am

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 am

You know that Conti CST / T165 is a temporary-use spare, yes?

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies, particularly the haulnride link, just goes to show the web can provide info on just about anything. Also the headsup about the tyre, it was one of the first ones I saw but I haven't as yet, worked out what size car tyre I might go for. With a 17" rim a low profile tyre would reduce the overall diameter, but I need to work out what width would fit between the forks and what the rim can safely accomodate. Otherwise it seems to me it would be ok, given that the arguments against using a car tyre on a motorbike don't really apply to the Triking..

Dave

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Beware going too low profile as this increases the shock or maybe you don't have potholes the size of a small lake?

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 am

I’ve been down that route using the 17” spoked Guzzi wheel with a good bike tyre, gives you all the grip you want but tyres aren’t cheap and the mileage you get out of them is uneconomical. I also have used the 18” Guzzi wheel with an Avon SM tyre and also a car profile tyre, this works ok and though the tyres aren’t cheap the mileage you got out of them was better. However, I’m now using the Triking 15” rear wheel with a 155x15” car profile tyre and though the initial outlay for the wheel was significant, it solved the mileage and cost of replacement tyres out in one go.
Unlike the front wheels, the rear wheel is tucked away under the car so whatever you’re fitting under there it’s not on show.

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm

For my type 3 build I am using a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tyre, size 140/80-17, which gets good reviews for achieving high mileages. Although the wheel is the tubeless type, I have fitted an inner tube as a precaution since the original tyre lost pressure very slowly from around the rim. The Triking car tyre conversion is an attractive option but would alter the accuracy of the speedo - I am using instruments from the donor bike and not sure if speedo could be recalibrated.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:35 am

Good tyre choice on that wheel, interested in what mileage you get, I’m using the same type of tyre on the fronts and they seem to be lasting well.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 pm

I've decided to go with a motorbike tyre for now, not much choice in 17" tyres anyway and I have a new Michelin Pilot tyre "in stock" so to speak so I'll see how it goes...

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 pm

Tamos wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm
For my type 3 build I am using a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tyre, size 140/80-17, which gets good reviews for achieving high mileages. Although the wheel is the tubeless type, I have fitted an inner tube as a precaution since the original tyre lost pressure very slowly from around the rim. The Triking car tyre conversion is an attractive option but would alter the accuracy of the speedo - I am using instruments from the donor bike and not sure if speedo could be re-calibrated.
I have my speedo calibrated to suit my front nearside wheel.