quick disconnect steering wheel

Spaniard

quick disconnect steering wheel

Post by Spaniard » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:05 am

I recently purchased a steering wheel quick disconnect hub from Amazon here in the US. I am very disappointed with the free play in the wheel. Of course I didn't discover this until after I cut welded and mounted the unit.

What kind of play are you guys finding on the quick disconnect unit that Triking sells? It looks to be a good quality unit. I don't think I can justify purchasing another unit if it has play in the wheel.

Any other advice / info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ivan

Davyboy

Re: quick disconnect steering wheel

Post by Davyboy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 am

Hi Ivan,

The Triking unit I have fitted has absolutely zero radial play. However, after a while I found it vibrated through some slight axial movement. This was easily overcome by drilling down the centre of the steering column and fitting a spring so it took up any play automatically.

Hope this has been of some help.

Dave

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi Ivan, I have had my quick release for eight years and 14,000 miles with zero play in the wheel. However I have experienced a little play recently and discovered it was in the connector at the rack and it would not tighten any further until I removed it, cleaned it and applied a little copper grease. It was refitted with a socket with an Allen key end, an extension and a 1/4" drive ratchet whereupon it tightened perfectly and I am back to zero slack.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Mine, supplied by Al, has 1mm of play measured on the wheel rim. Nowt wrong with that.
With the standard flat steering wheel, I did find my gloved hands were too close to switches and cockpit roll so made up some 20mm ally spacers. Kept the indicator switch in the original position.
Attachments
0150a QD steering wheel.jpg

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I placed an order with Alan. Hopefully it doesn't get held up in US customs. We still have plenty of snow, about 50 cm, so I won't be driving it any time soon unless I can get it out on the local lake where some friends race their motorcycles on the ice.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Now that I would like a go at.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:10 pm

I have a hard time getting going on gravel - don't think I'd go anywhere on a frozen lake.....