Build progress

Weg

Re: Build progress

Post by Weg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Looks good from here. Hope you've recorded all the relays and fuses on your wiring diagram, not that she's going to break down!
Will the relays on the glovebox be under the body shell?
What is the clear plastic bottle for?
Good pictures that can be zoomed in, thank you.

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi, yes the relays on the glove box will be covered by body but should be able to remove them, if necessary, by taking off Ecu first. Won’t be easy but hopefully will not need to replace. Have noted what all the fuses and relays are for - didn’t do it when I built JZR and caused a few problems. The clear plastic bottle is the breather/oil expansion for the reverse gearbox, seemed a suitable place to put it.
Cheers, Tony

Weg

Post by Weg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Bit overkill with the bottle, bearing in mind the reverse box only has about 250ml of oil in it.
I glued a pill bottle to the petrol tank, pipe was a push fit in hole hopefully keeping dirt out, going to bottom, sucking any oil back when it cools. Probably been better under the bonnet! I've never looked in it to see if there is any oil there.
Attachments
DSC02080aa.jpg

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 am

Things have slowed down due to weather and laziness! Body is in shed, all rubbed down ready for lots of filling and making good. Don’t enjoy this so doing little bit at a time. Finally got fuel pressure constant by fitting new regulator from Alan, using liquid filled gauge that I already had. Have also repositioned relays, as previously said by Westendguzzi they were hard to get to and the body actually just hit one.
Got a really lucky buy last week. One evening, nothing much on tv, so browsing on iPad and decided to look for wood rim steering wheel. No “bargains” on eBay or Gumtree but on Preloved was Moto Lita 14” wheel for £24 ovno, approx 35 miles away. The seller said it had never been used but was many years old and had some storage marks on wood. Paid £22 and picked up the next day, made an adaptor plate and now fitted to q/r boss. Looks much better than the leather rim wheel I was going to use.
085FCACD-C00A-42BB-9134-D79F17B39101.jpeg
Attachments
83760094-5D6A-486E-BE01-3351C2279F68.jpeg
602E4721-0728-409F-9F6D-1EE2D73DA458.jpeg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Good progress Tony.
Well done. Will you blow the body over with a guide coat to highlight the pin holes? I wish I had, also should have used fine stopper. Final coat going on next month now pin hole work completed.

Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:34 pm

I have seen the bargain wheel and can confirm that Tony is a jammie and lucky b****r. Looking good and let's try to keep momentum going through the boring paint prep phase. ;)

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Planning to give whole body a coat of etch primer as this seems best way to highlight pin holes. Did a trial area of approx 2 square feet and found 6 pin holes. Once entirely done in etch primer will use fine filler and then a coat of primer. Am hopeful that I have now found a local car body shop who are happy to apply colour coat and clear coat for around £500 if I do the preparation. Since the weather is now too cold and damp for me to spray with aerosols in my shed/workshop, I either pay up or wait for 6 months for better weather. Either way, have now decided that body will be painted before fitting.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Prudent move to hunt down the pin-holes at this stage.
Does seem to be a bit of a problem with Triking body shells.

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Leisurely progress, but have finally got body ready for paint. The process of filling then rubbing down has been repeated many times but have now applied an etch primer followed by a primer/filler and am quite pleased with the finish. Have also found a local spray shop who will apply the top coat and clear coat at reasonable cost - should be done early Jan. Was going to paint it myself with aerosols but would have to wait for much warmer weather and would not get such a good finish.
Have drilled holes for fitting windscreen brackets, ready to fit screen after MSVA. Don’t like idea of fitting screen using adhesive in case it gets on paint so wonder if anyone has successfully fitted the glass using some form of double sided tape. It would need to be at least 2mm thick and strong adhesion, but there must be something available that would be suitable.
To keep fully occupied during winter months, whilst there is not much I can do on Triking, I have bought a Wassell Bantam trials motorbike to rebuild. It is one out of a hundred built by a small company in the 1970’s and supplied in kit form. Takes me back to my misspent youth!!
Attachments
FB09660F-6519-4C0A-BB29-FD4AC4B8F0B4.jpeg
97D703D5-B407-4417-B96D-642151BD32CC.jpeg

Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 pm

That looks fabulous Tony. All that hard work has paid off so hoping your painter keeps up the high standard.

All bets about getting mine before yours is finished are off! Still no definite date on mine, although it is now registered, but it looks as though "sometime" 2020 will be delivery date. I hope to get down to see your new 2 wheel project before you finish that! :!: