Information 1000cc Triking with Ford gearbox etc

Richard and Pat

Information 1000cc Triking with Ford gearbox etc

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Trikingistas,
The following has come in from a new owner in France: Dominique Chudzik. Like me he uses Google Translate; who can help him please? His looks like a T1 withT2 body.
I don't think he is on here but he is on Triking Owners Club on Facebook and I am conversing with him via trikingowners @gmail.com [no space].
Richard

Hello Richard,
Do you have any documentation concerning the 1000 Triking with a FORD gearbox ???
Can you also give me the tire mark before the best fit and the recommended pressure.
Thank you very much cordially
Dominique Chudzik
Attachments
Dom Chud.jpg

Richard and Pat

Re: Information 1000cc Triking with Ford gearbox etc

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Dom now sorted,
Sent him a PDF of Triking Owner's manual which includes the
Ford gearbox oil recommendation.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Dom has another question, I have included the French in case you get a better idea as to what ~Dom is asking as he and I both use Google translate:
Bonsoir Richard
Pour changer la cartouche d'huile moteur. Est il possible de monter le carter sans lever le moteur pour assurer le passage du cartere d'huile.?
Good evening Richard
To change the engine oil cartridge. Is it possible to mount the crankcase without raising the engine to ensure the passage of the oil pan.
Cordialement
Dominique
I think he is asking if it is possible to remove the sump without lifting the engine? To which I believe the answer is yes. PLEASE CONFIRM or Correct and add any detail and I will pass it on ASAP.

Crozier3

Post by Crozier3 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Richard,
In order to change the filter you need to remove the sump and extension(if fitted for extra oil capacity),
in my special I can drop the sump without moving the engine, not sure about the Triking.
He will require 1 no oil filter and one/two sump gaskets as they should not be reused irrespective of there apparent condition.
All screws should be tightened in rotation across the centreline similar to tightening a cylinder head, to ensure that the sump is seated all round. Not sure of the torque, I use "feel", and then recheck after some 200 miles, also put clean sheet of cardboard under sump and check for "telltales"
regards Bill

Weg

Post by Weg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Come on all you fellows with Type 1s, explain your procedure!
As I understand it, the engine has to be lifted, by removing the front engine bolt then hoisting up a bit to enable the sump to exit forwards, clearing the chassis cross member. Is that right?

steveO

Post by steveO » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Not possible to remove the sump without lifting engine.
Might be possible with an external oil filter. At least one T1 has been modified to make the cross member removable. Not possible to fit a sump extension.
It is not such a big deal to lift the engine. I'm 67 and remove it from my T1 in under 30 mins with a simple strap over the back of my neck. Does help to keep the exhaust pipes movable.
Steve