Rear Wheel Location

EricStarmer

Rear Wheel Location

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi, everyone - I'm constructing some ramps so that I can load my Triking into the back of a van that I recently purchased, so that I can take it long distances where there are no backroads available, just motorways, as I find driving long distances on motorways boring and sometimes scary. I believe that the rear wheel is offset relative to the front wheels, but I don't know how much and to what side (I'm guessing the left). Would be grateful if somebody has the amount - I think I read it somewhere fairly recently, but can't remember where.
I have a Type 2.

Eric S.

Weg

Re: Rear Wheel Location

Post by Weg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:14 pm

It’s about 20mm (3/4” to your countryfolk), moved to the left.
The driveshaft is on the right so moving wheel over to the left gives the RHDriver more space.
Depending on your van, to clear rear wheel arches, you will probably be reversing the Triking in.
So, offset your rear wheel ramp to the right.
Understand?

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi, Tony - thanks for the info. - I understand :) , and my original plan was to back it in so that the front wheels could sit behind the wheel wells. I knew the low ground clearance would be a problem, but after I did some geometrical drawings, I realized it was a bigger problem than I anticipated, and that in order to get the car in without it bottoming on the back door ledge, I needed additional "ramps" inside so that it could clear the back ledge. I'm building some internal ramps with a 255" radius, which is what I calculate is required for a 90" wheelbase and 4.5" ground clearance to avoid bottoming out somewhere. Since this means it has to pretty much go over the wheel wells anyway, I decided that driving in forwards was the way to go. This is probably all to the good, as I would rather drive in and back out than vice-versa. I'm still wondering how difficult it will be to get in and out of the car when it's in the van :) .
I'll post some pictures when it's done (if I'm not trapped in the van).

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pm

If we don't hear from you within 24 hours we'll send a can opener and some water.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm

:D - not beer ?

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 am

Watery Beer? :|

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:40 pm

You must mean Bud/Coors Light.