2020 Annual Meetup

David Q

Re: 2020 Annual Meetup

Post by David Q » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi Dick,

I'm so sorry to hear of your cancellation. Ugh, very frustrating.

We are still planning on coming but are resigned to losing the cost of the ferry if we eventually do cancel (or the event is cancelled).

We've just had to cancel a trip down to Geneva for the end of March we were planning to make with 18 of our friends from the Hamburg and Oldenburg areas for a dance and trip to CERN. All the events have been cancelled. All the local dance groups have closed until further notice, several other workshops have been cancelled and we're battening down the hatches for the long haul. We'll just have to continue to monitor the situation.

Meanwhile, I've started to prepare Bluebelle for the 2020 season. She's getting new upholstery since I have to admit that my original choice just didn't work out. It's due to be finished in the next few days, so I'm eagerly awaiting to hear from the local saddler who's doing it.

Finally my best wishes to all forum members to take good care of yourselves until this disaster has passed us.

David Q

SIG 4643

Post by SIG 4643 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

It's with a heavy heart that I have decided that we postpone this year's meet up in Buxton because of the risks involved with corona virus and propose that we hold the event next year in May.

Those of us are who are over 70 are facing the prospect of non attendance due to 4 months self isolation and nobody knows what the situation will be, with regards to cafes, attractions and accommodation etc.

I will be talking to the event manager at the hotel tomorrow to find out what is the best way forward.

Guy (SIG 4643)

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi Guy

Well done for taking the difficult but sensible decision, I'm sure we're all disappointed at the turn of events but knowing where we stand is a great help.

Regards Dave

DSU475

Post by DSU475 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Guy,
A real shame, but a sensible and realistic decision.

Andy.

David Q

Post by David Q » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 am

Hello Guy,

I agree that it's the right thing to do, but it doesn't make it any easier to make, or less frustrating. I'll have to look at whether I can cancel my ferry crossing. Now, if you could make next year's booking within 12 months I might even be able to reschedule my ferry without cancelling it ;)

Meanwhile I'll have wait to see what happens about the Deutsche Dreiradtreffen in Deventer.

Best wishes to all,

David Q

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am

We were really looking forward to the meet but the decision has been taken from us.
Good call Guy, we will be safer not gathering from all corners of Europe.
Meanwhile, I shall be out and about in Edith today, perhaps a trip to Wisbechistan, just for fun.
Best wishes to all.
Tony & Carol.

SIG 4643

Post by SIG 4643 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm

I’ve contacted the hotel and they said that if we re-schedule the event, those that attend will not loose their deposits. Unfortunately, they cannot return any deposits so If you cannot attend the re-scheduled event, (or some other date of your own choosing,) then you will loose it. It is best to contact the hotel directly to clarify this.

I propose that we schedule this event for 25th-26th May plus an optional day on the 27th.

The hotel will shortly be sending me the email addresses of those who have already booked and I will forward the above message to them

Guy Greaves (SIG 4643)

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Guess I'm jinxed - ended up being left at the airport last year due to bizarre Air Canada regulations - this year had all my reservations for Buxton plus another week in the UK , which have all come to nought - hopefully by next year we will all still be around (but not the virus) and able to make it to a 2021 get-together.
Many thanks to Guy Greaves for arranging (and cancelling) the Buxton meet
Stay safe everyone - I think most of us are in the "high risk" age group.
Nothing safer or better than driving your Triking in these difficult times.

" Help me, help me, help me sail away
Well give me two good reasons why I oughta stay
'Cause I love to live so pleasantly
Live this life of luxury
Triking on a sunny afternoon"

Eric

SIG 4643

Post by SIG 4643 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Eric, May you live for a 1000 years

Guy

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks, Guy, but I think I'll need help getting in and out of my car somewhat before then.....