COMFORT Front Suspension T2/T3.

Weg

COMFORT Front Suspension T2/T3.

Post by Weg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 pm

With thanks to Al, my new front suspension setup has had a 50ml test run today on some of the bumpiest roads I know, FENLAND.
Edith had a settle down 5ml run a few days ago so I had set the tracking – caster angle – camber - steering wheel position etc to acceptable settings.
The picture is what she looks like now. Track is about 40mm wider than the previous standard setting, I can still get her past the tin-top parked in the yard, spot the differences!
A fantastic improvement. The video https://youtu.be/P7w68o53B7s
shows how hard the shockers are working over the first 5mls of todays run (GoPro battery is getting old).
It was a solo run, basic settings with minimum pre-load on springs, .1 on damper setting. Handling was excellent, steering light and responsive with good pull out from bends. Plenty of scope for adjustment, which will probably be needed for 2 up runs to follow soon.
Todays run has surpassed my expectations. (Understatement)
Attachments
DSC03256a.jpg

Oleg

Re: COMFORT Front Suspension T2/T3.

Post by Oleg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am

Your planning, trials and re-manufacture look to be well worth while. Excellent!

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

It really seems to be soaking up the bumps well, judging by how stable the camera image is. The early part of the video when both wheels are going up and down like the clappers is really impressive! Can you let us know what exactly you've done differently to the standard setup or is it already detailed elsewhere?

I'll probably go for a similar setup on my next Triking build.

Dave

Weg

Post by Weg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:30 am

The new Hagon Nitro shockers are longer than the originals so the suspension components had to be modified.
This involved:
Longer bottom wishbone
Lengthened upright with revised angle for ball joint top & bottom
Longer trackrod extenders
The top fully adjustable wishbone had sufficient adjustment so stays the same.
Alan has expertly engineered the changes and has ‘jigged up’ to replicate, following successful trials.
I did another test run today, solo with damper setting on 3.
Video here https://youtu.be/0lztt4DwlD4

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:23 pm

The amount of travel on the suspension is quite hypnotic to watch, looks like a good improvement to the ride comfort. Some of the roads round here suffer from sunken manhole covers that haven't been built up when the road was resurfaced as well as potholes so I think I'll be going for it.

I remember Chapmans maxim of soft springs and firm dampers which it looks like you've got. Thanks for the writeup. :)

Dave

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 am

Any idea on what the upgrade would cost?

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm

More road tests, reset tracking, road test, reset caster angle and tracking, road test, reset caster angle and tracking again. Now done 175mls so well bedded in on our fen roads
Handling is now as I like it. Light, responsive, good staighten up out of bends. Predictable
Straight line at speed is superb with minimal grip on steering wheel.
The suspension is a vast improvement from the original standard Hagons, soaking up the bumps superbly.
Very pleasing result.
More news to follow from Carol and Al.
Watch this space.

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Excellent! Watching this space particularity in relationship to Doverhay's question recost. A change over kit, if practical, would be ideal.

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Historic day today. Carol has just been out for a ride with me and the suspension has passed the ultimate scrutiny. I chose the roughest roads that we have here, not the silky smooth ones, so as not to give her a false impression. There was only one expletive the whole time, which was a really nasty bump/dip. There is no bone shattering now and for Carol that is major breakthrough in reverse trike travelling. I'm delighted with the result. Spring has come early---!
Going to Al's early next week for his check and assessment.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Great day for a ride with Carol to Hingham then lunch at Broom Hall.

Front suspension inspected and road tested by Al.

APPROVED.

It will be added to the Triking shop shortly.