Starting technique?

AndyR

Starting technique?

Post by AndyR » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

Now finished most of the cosmetic improvements and done a full service with all oils, filters, plugs etc replaced.
Thanks to Paul in helping with tracking and camber, all front end set up too!

I still struggle to start it cold if left for more than a few days.

Is there a technique to start an 1100 EFI engine? Full throttle, part throttle? Clutch in/out?

Appreciate your help as always folks! Have to say I have found the Forum invaluable - Thanks again!

Andy

peakrock

Re: Starting technique?

Post by peakrock » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:08 pm

I normally start mine with just a little throttle, if it's been standing a while it might need several revolutions before it fires. You could try turning on the ignition and waiting a few seconds for the fuel pump to pressurise the system before starting. Also check where the temperature sensor is located because the ambient temperature has an effect on the fueling. Mine is located just behind the air intakes so it accurately informs the ECU what the engine needs.

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 am

The 1100 EFI should start easily with a few revolutions and a very small amount of throttle, It does need to be fully primed as fuel can syphon back to the tank if left for a longer period. Make sure the fuel system is in good order - Pre-filter - pump - EFI filter and Pressure regulator (check the pressure) Modern fuel seems to go off very quickly, Also check cylinder compression and TPS setting. Injectors can stick shut when cold / or left unused so if its an older model might be worth running some injector cleaner through the fuel system too....

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Sat May 11, 2024 11:56 am

I have found that I need to give it a little gas while cranking the engine over and then I release the gas and it fires. It seems to me that it needs a little extra fuel when cold but when you give it gas it also gives it air but then when you close throttle while cranking it just momentarily gets a little richer and fires. Usually crank it over three to four times before I let off the throttle and it pops. I then have to just slightly feather the throttle. Almost behaves like a carb motor and not the FI.

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Sat May 11, 2024 4:12 pm

The enrichment function on the EFI engines is purely electronic (done by the ECU which it calculates by reading the temperature from the sensors) If an EFI engine doesn't start readily without operating the throttle in a specific way then its likely the electronics are not quite set correctly - TPS would be the most likely or possibly a temp sensor dirty.