Tension spring on parking brake rear caliper

Dreamer

Tension spring on parking brake rear caliper

Post by Dreamer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 am

Hope everyone is looking forward to the Triking season. I am presently working on a modification to my parking brake and would like to ask whether it is possible to reduce the tension of the parking brake spring and / or suggest an alternative. Thank you in advance

Weg

Re: Tension spring on parking brake rear caliper

Post by Weg » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 pm

The only way to reduce spring tension is to put a lighter spring in.
If you know someone with a box of assorted springs, you might find something suitable that you can adapt.
That could risk brake binding if not returning to off position.
Perhaps the leverage on your handbrake lever is too much, can the cable conection position in relation to the lever pivot be reduced, thus reducing the amount of arm strength needed.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:08 am

Thank you very much for your reply the contents of which have been noted. I am glad that the external parking brake I installed has worked with no problem with the existing spring. So I do not need any modifications

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

If you mean the spring on the caliper itself? these are as supplied by the caliper manufacturer, so a dedicated design tension for that particular caliper to suit the piston size, seal drag and specific safety considerations, its probably not a good idea to reduce the tension as the caliper may not function as designed. You could probably safely add a spring elsewhere in the system if required.