Anti Roll bar

CairAndros

Anti Roll bar

Post by CairAndros » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm

Hi Triking technos,
I am preparing my type3 for a Anti Roll bar, I know it wil not do much but I am curious if any of you have any experience with that kind of setup and if any of you have any advice.
I am trying to have it as low as possible in the front frame and connected to the lower wishbones close to the lower mounting point of the shocks.
I have seen an anti Roll bar configuration on a Special Triking that give me the idea.
Cheers

Oily

Re: Anti Roll bar

Post by Oily » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:09 pm

I’ll follow this thread with interest! They do look very cool - I was thinking of asking Alan if he could make one for mine.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:58 pm

I have been known to drive my Triking 'enthusiastically' but have never felt the need for an anti roll bar.
The Triking suspension is very well designed and with Hagon Nitro shockers is quite capable of handling situations up to driver limits.
If you are going to race then that will introduce limitations on creature comfort.
Even the Superlite doesn't seem to have one.
magny_cours_2013_2_001a.jpg

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:05 pm

I am not going to race my type 3, but as I mentioned earlier, I like the geometry/looks.
It is just a test I like to do on the Triking and not expecting any difference ;) 🤔😬
I will try to make a photo series on the development and keep you all informed
Cheers Henk

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 pm

Looking forward to your write ups.

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:55 pm

Hi all,
It took some time to have the plans ready for the Anti Roll bar, but here it is.
I was in spired to see if I could fit an anti roll bar to my Triking type3, by this picture of a wide front ended Triking racer(?)
I made some rough sketches, but realized that fitting the torsion bar throu the box sections on the front frame would be a problem.
So I made a torsion bar from a splined axle and turned the midsection down to 1/2” or 12mm
The splined ends wil take the arm that will be attached to the lower mounting point of the front shocks.
The mounting brackets for the torsion bar are made out of Delrin (or PTFE) and mount inside the boxed sections on the front frame.
I have some photo’s and drawings but I am sorry to say I can’t post them in this post.
Hope to have them soon up.
I am finishing the whole assembly this weekend and let you know how it altered the handling of the car.
Henk

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:34 pm

Pictures from Henk.
Attachments
image3a.jpg
image2a.jpg
image2 (1a).jpg
image1a.jpg
image0a.jpg

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 am

On replay to the pictures above.
Thanks Tony for summiting them,
The lowest(last) picture shows the idea and inspiration to get a anti roll bar on my type 3
The one above that is how I would vision the anti roll bar on my type 3.
Then the arm(s) with the rose joints and the stubbed M10x1,0 mm nut with M8 threaded stub , to hold the lower shock mount and to hold the Rose joint from the arm of the arm.
Then you have the first rough drawing for the anti roll bar and finally the worked out plan to manufacture the anti roll bar.
Bear in mind that it is what I have made for my Triking type 3, it can always vary depending upon each individual choice.
Hope this explanes a bit, I will have a update later with some better pictures
Henk

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:48 pm

Hi all
In looking at the anti-roll bar discussion, I was reminded that my type 1 does not have one and that may be a direct result of the original design's linkage to Lotus and Colin Chapman. He was not a fan of anti-roll bars as he felt that proper geometry and spring/shock rates gave better feel and control. So saying the Lotus 7 uses a front anti-roll bar as a suspension member.
The other point may be comfort as adding more suspension control may pass the extra loads to the chassis and body.
I do enjoy all the projects that people with amazing skill and energy undertake.
Simon

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:42 pm

Wel today finished the anti roll bar and took the Triking out for a spin.
It did not make much difference (perhaps a little fermer in the front suspension) but it may also be wish full thinking🤔 😬.
I really think it looks great, now a lick of paint to finish it of
Gr Henk