Lifting a Type 3

bdaughdrill

Lifting a Type 3

Post by bdaughdrill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:19 am

Strange question, need to lift whole car 2-3’ up so I can get back under it for post-Cannonball repairs. Ramps don’t really get it high enough. What is best jacking point in rear and any guidance on such a lift

Weg

Re: Lifting a Type 3

Post by Weg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:54 am

This is similar to having a lifting eye on a car engine----!
You have twin fuel tanks so my rear jacking point won't be for you.
I have a hi-lift ratchet farm jack, an engine hoist would do just as well, and 3 wooded trestles, I can, single handed, get the Triking high enough to put the build frame (on casters) underneath in about 20mins.
Front lift point is a tube through the front chassis eyes.
Rear is a 20x10x70 box welded to the chassis during bare metal stage to prevent jack from slipping, at the rear of the l/h chassis box.
In your case Brian, perhaps a sling around both swinging arm legs.
My Method.
Chocks under front wheels.
Lift rear first, put small trestle under rear of chassis, crossways.
Lift front putting blocks under front wheels before getting to an unsafe height.
Lift rear putting blocks under trestle. (or taller trestle)
Lift front to desired height, putting trestles under wheels.
Lift rear to desired height, slide build frame under car, then lower rear onto it.
Lift front, remove trestles then lower car onto build frame.
All this carried out in safe increments, non-slip rubber between rear trestle and chassis.
Risk assessment, method statement, preparation. Take care.
Good luck.
Tony

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Pretty simple/cheap, but you'd need 3 ramps and (shorter) boxes.
Attachments
Ramp.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am

Hi Eric,
I made some boxes out of Scaffold planks with a clip on the front for my 'Bike' loading ramps to fit into and I push Squeaker up onto the front two boxes. Rear is then jacked using the box section in front of the rear wheel until I can get third box under wheel. Andrew F made his boxes out of a sheet of ply and a little taller. He is home shortly and I will ask his dimensions. Mine are 14" H x 18.1/2" L x standard Scaffold board 8.1/2".
Attachments
rsz_triking_raising_blocks_003.jpg
rsz_triking_raising_blocks_002.jpg
rsz_triking_raising_blocks_001.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:53 am

Easy storage, two heights and uses ramps already owned for trailer.
Attachments
loading-ramp.jpg

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks for the detailed description/photos , Richard - the photo I posted wasn't of a car of mine, found it on the Internet - seemed a good way to go - I do it pretty much the same way as Tony, alternately jacking the front and rear, and putting concrete blocks under each end as I go.

I'm thinking I need to experiment with some "over centre" ramps - a couple of strong boards each with a fulcrum about 1/3 the way from the "front", and a perpendicular board joining the two at the back, creating a square "U" shape. You drive on until the weight of the engine at the front is far enough past the fulcrum that it causes the rear of the car to lift up. Very quick, simple, easy - just remember to put something up front so that when it all "see-saws" the front doesn't come crashing down.

P.S.
I'm just visualising this - don't know whether it would work in practice :-)

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:15 pm

bdaughdrill

Post by bdaughdrill » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. I don’t know that I have room for a hoist to lift from above. Ultimately, rear wheel/sling arm are being removed to pull drive shaft from rear. I actually DO have the duel rear tanks so any tips based on that are helpful. Thanks for the photos, they’re great.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Go back to plan A.
Trolley jack with blocks----back/front----back/front

bdaughdrill

Post by bdaughdrill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Never underestimate a person with timber-framing in his background. Since there is no access to the attic above the garage to bolster the existing joists, I framed a 1500lb rated frame and stand for an engine chain hoist...the Green Beast is happily up off the floor sitting on a wooden frame sitting on 6-ton jack stands. I'll leave the hoist in place as "insurance" should something decide to let go but we have liftage….
Attachments
Trestle2.png
trestle1.png