Type 1 Wiring Loom question

peakrock

Type 1 Wiring Loom question

Post by peakrock » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:36 am

I can probably work this out with a multi meter eventually but just in case - does anyone recognise this plug and wiring from a Triking made Type 1 wiring loom. I've tried to match it up with the wiring diagram that Tony produced some years ago but it's not clear where all the wires go.

I suspect it might be hazard light relay wiring but the wire colours don't really match up. It's position in the loom is such that it sits around the back of the engine but it's a non ECU engine.

Thanks Dave
plug1.jpg
plug2.jpg

Alanla

Re: Type 1 Wiring Loom question

Post by Alanla » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:57 am

Dave, That looks exactly like the plug we used to fit on T1 looms when they had a Lucas 2 speed wiper motor. It was usual on the end of a longish cable as the bonnet needed to be lifted enough to disconnect the wiper before completely removing the bonnet. We have got one here if you want to call in and look at it............

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:18 pm

Thanks Alan, I found an enormous Lucas wiper motor and gearbox amongst the boxes of bits and the socket matches the plug. Just need to decide whether to keep it or go for the Golf wiper motor as per current Triking practice.

Cheers Dave

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:17 am

Another question you may be able to help with please. I've nearly finished the rewiring apart from the hazard and indicator circuits. I have an eight pin connector block with 5 wires going to it. After speaking to Al we think it goes to a Hazard light rocker switch similar to that fitted on older mini's etc. These are still available but appear to have six pins - does anyone know if they would work on this loom?
PSX_20231028_110149.jpg
This small group of wires I believe go to the flasher relay though most relays have two connectors. It's possible they go to a flasher and separate hazard relay - again does anyone know?
PSX_20231028_110250.jpg
Finally I have a pair of wires that have no apparent home. I've drawn out the way these wires are interconnected below which I hope clarifies what I'm asking. There were no switches or relays with the Type 1 when I bought it, hence the questions.

Thanks Dave
PSX_20231028_120245.jpg

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:32 am

Hi Dave.
I'm mystified with the wiring diagram.
Assuming the squiggly bits are the indicator bulbs, why would the Gr/bn connection to switch go to earth?
Some of the connectors look like Guzzi. Loom binding looks pro original but from what?
I would be inclined to start again with a completely independant indicator/hazard circuit.
Tony

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 pm

Hi Tony

I meant to draw more bulb symbols instead of earth symbols - I was in too much of a rush! So the green/brown wire goes to the indicator switch which then directs it to the left or right side indicator. What I really need is to know what the hazard rocker switch connections are when the switch is operated. If I can just plug in a switch to that connector block it saves some rewiring time...

Cheers Dave

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi, I have this plug connected to my large lucas wiper motor. I can post a picture of the motor installed if helpful.
Simon

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:30 am

Thanks Simon, I've sorted out the wiper motor connections thanks. The last remaining question is the hazard light switch connector block but I think I'll get the one used on old minis and see if that works - I can always adapt the connections if need be.

Regards Dave