Fitting the exhaust

Trik4ever

Fitting the exhaust

Post by Trik4ever » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi everybody

This week I have had to have my two front silencers rewelded as several seams hat split. After 8 years of happy driving I did not mind.

Fitting the exhaust is not that simple as the whole systam is a tight fit. Which is a good thing but it is tricky to install it without tensions.

I did it the following way:

I installed everything but I did not tighten the three clamps on each front silencer. Then I drove for about 15 miles so everything could settle where it belonged. And then I tightened the 6 clamps. So now I hope there is a minimum of tension on the system.

How are you doing that?

Weg

Re: Fitting the exhaust

Post by Weg » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Hi Raoul
I have modified mine with success.
I've done away with the cross balance pipe, it was the first bit to hit the road going out of my driveway and gave problem with the welds failing.
I'm on carbs and didn't feel it necessary, if you can tune one 550 single cylinder engine, then you can tune two without the balance pipe.
Mid mounting point is now a 'slipper' cradle allowing movement.
The rear silencer mounting will always have to flex with expansion/contraction, the bolts are long enough to allow this.
I've not experience any real problems with tuning but have fitted home made baffles in the long pipes, just to the rear of the mid mounting.
This has eliminated the weak points that were prone to failure.
Perhaps this is not the answer you were looking for.
Tony
DSC00273a.jpg

Trik4ever

Re: Fitting the exhaust

Post by Trik4ever » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 am

No, it is not the answer I have been hoping for, but it still is interesting!

I leave the balance tube in place. Basically all Twins have that, and certainly for a reason.