Fuel Tank Capacity

Weg

Fuel Tank Capacity

Post by Weg » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:54 am

According to autocad, tank capacity is 23.68ltr 5.2 gal.
I have the float on lever standard fuel sensor.
Starting with tank full to the filler neck, I drive 140 miles before the guage said empty.
I then continued to drive till 195mls, still 2" left in tank.
Refilled to neck with 21.67ltr.
That = 40.9 mpg.
Bearing in mind that the pump is higher than the bottom of the tank, it's never going to suck that last bit out.

Trik4ever

Re: Fuel Tank Capacity

Post by Trik4ever » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:35 am

With my Type 3 the fuel gauge was just a joke so I disconnected it ...

Oli4

Post by Oli4 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:00 pm

I tested the fuel sender on my Type 1 with water, it's pretty accurate. (The thank had to be derusted anyway)

Also it could be on purpose that it reports too little fuel. Rather have to stop for fuel too early, then have to push too late.

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:45 pm

From WEG’s post and comments there is, as you would expect, consistency.

In the Type 1, which we previously owned, the fuel gauge had a side entry sender giving a full swing within the tank so it reached almost to the base of the tank enabling it to give fairly accurate readings.

With our Type 2 the sender is in the top of the tank which restricts the length of the arm that can be used. Therefore, the arm at its lowest is still at about one third of the tank’s total capacity so the message to the gauge is empty.
This results in the gauge showing full when full but when indicating empty there is still approximately 8 litres left to be used. A very generous reserve giving you 50 miles plus to find fuel.
I understand there is a vertical tower type sender which would give more accurate reading but think a tank mod is needed to take it.

I have just got used to it and not found it an issue when traveling long distances as from fill up to indicated empty we also get around 140 miles with still that generous reserve to come.
I will add that a tank dip stick is a very useful thing to have so when you have not been out for some time and your gauge shows empty its nice to know how urgently you need to get petrol.