Brake bleeding spring maintenance

Spaniard

Brake bleeding spring maintenance

Post by Spaniard » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:29 pm

I parked the Triking last November and took it out yesterday for its first drive. To my surprise I needed to bleed the front brakes. Strange. It took two rounds of bleeding and now the pedal feels normal while sitting in the garage. I haven't had a chance to try it after the second round of bleeding due to rain and 8" of snow coming tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you discovered why this happens.

Also if anyone has any good techniques for bleeding the front brakes please share. I have been doing it the old fashioned way where I remove the caliper, place an metal plate (same thickness as the rotors) between the pads and press and hold the brake, open bleeder, close bleeder, pump the brake and hold, open bleeder, close bleeder and repeat. Removing the caliper and raising it up as high as you can while tapping the lines while bleeding helps make the air rise to the bleeder nipple.

I wonder if air gets trapped in the master cylinder and its hard to remove. I have had this happen on motorcycles in the past but have always been able to eventually get all the air out.

Richard and Pat

Re: Brake bleeding spring maintenance

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:15 pm

Hi,
Yes, if not used through the winter my previous Triking T2 would need a bleed; my pal's T3 needs a bleed after a lay up too. Now I don't know if it is because I have moved the Triking in and out of the garage for various reasons over the winter but I have not yet had to bleed the brakes this year. I did last!
I use one of these [with an additional magnet] and a person to press the pedal.
Attachments
Brake bleeder.jpg

Widdup

Post by Widdup » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm

If you have a compressor then a vacuum bleeder is the answer. No messing about with the brake pedal and simple single handed operation. Various makes available on line but probably all just as effective.

Trik4ever

Post by Trik4ever » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:06 pm

I had the same problem. Exchanging the master cylinder solved it.

V10Mike

Post by V10Mike » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:03 am

Aha, I thought it was just me! Had a scary moment last year after not using the Triking for a month, when the brake pedal went to the floor. Bleeding the brakes fixed it (albeit temporarily), but I still do not understand how the air is entering the system.

Interesting that @Trik4ever fixed it by changing the master cylinder -I have done the same, which also allows me to go down a size to 0.5" and fit remote reservoirs. So far the brake pedal is remaining firm, but I shall be vigilant after any time left unused.

Incidentally, being blessed with long arms I can open and close the front brake bleed screws (one at a time) with one hand whilst cycling the brake pedal with the other!

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:52 pm

Yes, This can happen - its essentially caused by the fact that unlike most vehicles the Triking brake callipers are higher than the master cylinders, therefore if there is the tiniest issue with any component being in less than perfect condition in the braking system allowing even a microscopic amount of air to enter it can make the brakes spongy. This is why the cure to the problem can be misleading - i.e. sometimes it will be resolved by changing a master cylinder or re-sealing a calliper etc etc, however this is of course done in conjunction with re-bleeding the system which would usually resolve the issue anyway. It usually manifests itself over a period of a few weeks / months when the Triking is not used. The simple solution if a Triking is to be unused like over winter etc is simply to press the brake pedal a few times every week or so............ This assumes of course that all components in the braking system are in good condition. We have also found it seems to happen less if synthetic brake fluid is used.

Archie

Post by Archie » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 am

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:55 am

Yes, I bought one of these, unfortunately. Badly made most of them. I went back to the bottle on a magnet. Old School it maybe but it is cheap and effective. Beware when choosing one.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:00 pm

Thank you all for your reply. Very interesting insights into the problem. This forum has been a great resource. I will give it another look and a bleed and then drive it. Looking forward to some warmer weather. We have had a long winter and wet spring.

Cheers,
Ivan