Loss of alternator

CairAndros

Loss of alternator

Post by CairAndros » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:47 am

I have had my IVA in the Netherlands yesterday, and it passed :D happy days., I still have to change 3 thing
But they aren’t technical and just need to be shown to be changed.
During the final handbrake test the altenator light poppen up and slowly drained the battery. :|
Does any one know weather this is due to a faulty alternator or a bad regulator, straingely the petrol gauges started fluctuating as well(?.??)
I have the 949 California 3 in my Triking and it is from 1992, it had done only 33000 km.
I don’t know to much about Moto Guzzi and I don’t want to spent a lot of money on parts that are okay and are changed for nothing.
I am thinking this may be the regulator, the alternator is from Ducati
Any advice
Henk

Richard and Pat

Re: Loss of alternator

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:16 am

Can you check the alternator output with a meter Henk?

Weg

Post by Weg » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:31 am

Is there an in-line 2 pin plug from alternator to regulator, perhaps dislodged.
Is there an in-line fuse between regulator and battery? possibly 30amp.

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:26 pm

Thanks for the tips I will check it and let you know ASAP
What output (volts) is, and there is a two pin plug from the alternator, but no 30amp fuse they are all 15amp fuses.
Again I will let you both know

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:39 pm

Its quite possible that the battery was just low. When I built my Triking I had a nice freshly charged battery but over the build (wiring) process the battery was drained then charged then drained, etc. The day of my inspection it almost didn't start because the battery was so weak. When it was finally on the road the battery lasted maybe 1 year before it died completely.

I would check the battery voltage with the ignition off and also check it with a load on it. Older Moto Guzzis have very weak charging system by todays standard and if it had been idling for a while it most likely wasn't charging. They had a no charging light on the dash that would illuminate around idle and would go out once it started charging, about 1500-2000 rpm. You can check the voltage at idle at the battery and also at 2500 rpm to see if your charging. I ended up installing an automotive style alternator which has been really nice. Plenty of power for all the lights, fog lights, and a heated vest for the cooler months.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:11 pm

In the UK Halfords sell a Yuasa Garden Battery specifically for kit cars in a useful size however having seen Tony's current build today he has a narrow Excide, I think, I will get more detail. However, for longer battery life connect to a battery saver type charger like Optimate once parked up and these with maintain the battery better than a normal charger.

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:53 pm

Available fron Tayna-batteries, found on ebay.
Attachments
IMG_1390 (1).JPG

CairAndros

Post by CairAndros » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:58 pm

Many thanks for the tips concerning the loss of alternator.
The voltage output of the original Guzzi(Ducati) alternator is indeed low, but the problem I had was the Veglia timeklock that took quite some Amps(+1 Amp) that drained the battery.
I had a tip from a friend of mine who suggested to upgrade the output of the original alternator , by using Neodym magnets, so that is going to be a nice winter job for me.
Greetings Henk