Black road dust

Dreamer

Black road dust

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 pm

I have fitted a mudguard over the rear wheel but slightly short at the rear. One thing that really bugs me is that the rear on the inside is completely covered in black dust and as soon as you touch anything your hands become black. This used to penetrate even behind the seats but now I tried to block any space that existed between the rear bulkhead and the body. Did any Triking owner ever did anything to eliminate this.

Weg

Re: Black road dust

Post by Weg » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 pm

No black dust on mine.
Might I enquire if, hidden out of sight, there is a bolt head, bracket or other stray piece of metal touching the rear tyre when the suspension is exercised.
Just thinking aloud.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:22 am

Following the train of thought above from Tony, check the tyre for evidence of rubbing.
Are you wearing disc pads quickly? Is the pad rubbing when not being applied.
It is important to seal the small 'D' shaped space between body outer and chassis rail down to seat belt mounting and the glass fibre panel that is inserted during body fitting above wheel casing behind top of the seat. I found one without any sealing at all at the sides.

steveO

Post by steveO » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi,

Same issue with my type1. I have Alans car rim on a Guzzi hub and it gets totally covered with black dust. I am sure it is from the brake pads probably more from the Guzzi Convert parking brake than the main pads. The parking brake needs to be just off rubbing for it to work. The black dust does make its way through the rear bulkhead. As pad wear is minimal I just power hose everything behind the bulkhead before doing anything. Annoying, but oh well.
Steve

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:41 am

I'm looking at this issue on my Type 1 at the moment.
Initially, there was contact with the Convert parking brake to the disc, it was still dragging slightly after correct adjustment of the arms and cable, so I've shimmed the carrier to ensure the calipers are properly centralised on the disc.
The parking brake is now OK, but there is still a very light brake drag from the AP Lockheed main caliper outer pad when the brake gets hot. Which I think is piston stiction related, I plan a caliper rebuild as soon as I have time!
What surprised me is the amount of brake dust even a slight drag can produce - the stuff gets absolutely everywhere, I'm forever cleaning it down.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:42 am

I have noted the above contributions but frankly I do not know what I can do since brake unit on my car is new unless I can adjust handbrake cable. It is worth mentioning that I can move the car easily when engine is off and pushing it in and out of garage

steveO

Post by steveO » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:33 pm

One alternative is to change the brake pad material. I think Allan has some different grades, but may affect braking. If you have a Convert parking brake they are rare and I do not think any pads are available. You can adjust the Convert brake by operating on allen screws in centre of pads/piston but hard to reach

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:31 am

steveO wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:33 pm
One alternative is to change the brake pad material. I think Allan has some different grades, but may affect braking. If you have a Convert parking brake they are rare and I do not think any pads are available. You can adjust the Convert brake by operating on allen screws in centre of pads/piston but hard to reach
Yes, it's a balancing act between Allenscrews and cable length to get the arm angles right. A bit of a fiddle, but a once-a-year job. I grab Convert brake pads whenever I see them!

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:19 am

I fitted a stronger return spring and cut out any lazy return after handbrake use on the T2.