Odd starting behaviour

Richard and Pat

Odd starting behaviour

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:25 pm

We have a question from Charles in Malta: I would like to share a problem that I am encountering. As you might be aware I still have many problems to register the car. However Every week I try to start the engine. I put on the battery main switch and turn on the key. when I press the start switch sometimes I get a noise tick tick tick tick and also on a second attempt all the indicator lights and instruments go of. After a couple of times the starter works regularly. This seems to happen after the week that I would not have used it. Did you ever experience this or maybe you heard someone with this problem. At first I thought that maybe the battery is tired but it is a new battery and when I check the voltage it reads 12.8v. I have checked all the contacts as well but could not see anything out of place. Maybe you can guide me or know of someone who could have experienced this problem.
Over to the Trikingistas:

Weg

Re: Odd starting behaviour

Post by Weg » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:29 pm

I don't think 12.8v is enough.
Had the same problem with my TR1. Not enough power to throw the starter in.
If battery seams to be fully charged, then it may be faulty.
Just saying.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:12 pm

I would like to see the battery at around 13.4 volts; however, I had a similar problem and fitted an earth lead connecting chassis to engine which sorted the problem. I would suspect the starter solenoid as the culprit, but since all the indicator lights and instruments dim then it would seem the battery or bad earth is your problem. Reminds me of my Lotus owning days, earthing was the main issue.

Harlynbird

Post by Harlynbird » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:52 pm

12.8v is more than enough, 12.6v is considered fully serviceable (13+v will only ever be seen in the minutes following charging). To help find your problem you need to drop test your 2 starter lives and earth. To do that connect a voltmeter from battery positive to starter main live, then load circuit by turning key to crank. Anything above 0.25v shows a high resistance on that wire. Do same on starter energiser connection. Then with meter test battery negative to engine block to test earth circuit. Using this technique you can narrow it down to a particular connector or wire just by positioning the meter probes either side of the suspected areas, but always remember to load the circuit.