Body panel fasteners

Simon.gk

Body panel fasteners

Post by Simon.gk » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:55 pm

Hi everyone.
As I head out to the storage unit where the Triking is buried in all our household stuff including the new kitchen, its -11 so I am limited in how much I can do to the Triking or any of the other jobs waiting for me.
I finally took the back off so that I could sort out the battery and the handbrake having carefully unscrewed the 4 nuts behind the seat. I have been warned about not over-tightening them when I put the back on again as it might tear out the bolts.
This being the case I am wondering if other people have used alternate fastenings such as Canloc, Dzus, Moroso or even fancy types like the Pitking push button releases.
I had them on the Caterham together with over-centre latches. Its hard to see from pictures but most show clean panels without obvious fasteners.
The list gets ever longer but it is a great winter activity and is certainly more fun than the daily challenges of the ongoing housebuild.
Stay safe, Simon

RobH

Re: Body panel fasteners

Post by RobH » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:14 pm

There was a forum post from Guy Greaves 4 months ago "rear wheel cover quick release catches" which has useful information on Car Quick Release Push Button Clip. I am not sure how to post a link but a quick search should throw up the entry

RobH

Re: Body panel fasteners

Post by RobH » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:25 pm

Should have said post was 4 years ago in my previous post. I went down the route of short leather bonnet straps but they are more cosmetic than functional as to get them tight enough to stop the cover lifting it is impossible to then get enough free strap to release them. I have however fitted thumb wheels on the screws inside to make the panels easier to locate and remove.
I had some old style vintage lift the catch bonnet hooks but did not use them as I felt the hook was too flimsy. The ones where there is a hole in the lift that then locates onto the catch on the bonnet panel seems more sturdy
Cheers Rob