First MOT after MSVA ?

peakrock

First MOT after MSVA ?

Post by peakrock » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:47 am

It's been a year since I first registered my Triking after the MSVA and the DVLA inform me that it requires an MOT before it can be retaxed. I was under the impression that it's not required until 3 years after first registration. Does anyone know for sure whether the 3 year exemption should apply or is everyone's experience that an MOT was necessary after the first year?

Thanks

Dave

Richard and Pat

Re: First MOT after MSVA ?

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:20 am

Dave, Squeaker was registered with an age related number and had to have an MOT the first year. The T3 was registered as a new car and given a new number, this required an MOT three years after the registration process.
What does your V5 say in terms of when registered?
I hope this helps.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:53 am

Hi Richard, mine shows as registered on 01/01/2021 though I submitted enough proof of content from the donor to get an age related registration number. I did in fact purchase a personalised number plate which they issued at the time of registration but I don't think that alters anything...

I guess it might be worth an email to the DVLA as it's a bit cold and unpredictable at this time of year to book an MOT and drive there on the day!

Thanks Dave

Musselermark

Post by Musselermark » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Dave
I was allocated an age related number plate( 1981) to engine, gearbox, bevel box etc. But registration on v5 is 2014. I needed an mot after 12 months.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:51 pm

Following my earlier posts I contacted the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) - previously known as VOSA - who confirmed that my Triking didn't need an MOT until 3 years after the new registration date, which in my case was 01/01/2021. They advised I should contact the DVLA but when I put this to the DVLA they initially rejected changing the MOT requirement date. I went back to them and explained that perhaps they were looking at the age of the donor bike as the basis for an MOT being required instead of the MSVA date. I also pointed out that shouldn't the DVSA be the arbiter of when an MOT is required as it's their department - in a polite way of course.

After a holding letter saying it was under investigation I then got a new V5C after a couple of weeks and the first MOT is now required 3 years after registration.

All's well that ends well...

Dave

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:07 am

I had a new registration on mine back in 2013, I did not require an MOT for 3 years.