Wind Deflectors

peakrock

Wind Deflectors

Post by peakrock » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:01 am

On a couple of long trips recently I've found the buffeting from the wind to be a bit tiresome (I know, I'm getting old!) Having spotted wind deflectors on some Trikings at recent meets I'm thinking of fitting them too. So, are they effective at reducing buffeting, does anyone have a pattern or drawing for them and are they easy to make or could someone make them for me?

Dave

EricStarmer

Re: Wind Deflectors

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi, Dave - I made some deflectors from about 3mm acrylic , and attached them to the windscreen supports. I made them for when I have my home-made hood on, which necessitated a curve at the top to make them flush with the hood itself. I made the curve by putting the cut acrylic in the oven (when the wife was out) and heating them up to about 300 deg. F, when they became easy to (slowly) bend. I made some brackets out of aluminium to attach them to the windscreen support. They work quite well at deflecting both wind and rain. The nuts/bolts that hold them on weren't immediately at hand , but you get the idea :)
Attachments
Deflector 3.jpg
Deflector 2.jpg
Deflector 2.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Deflector 1.jpg
Deflector 1.jpg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for the information and the pictures - it doesn't look too hard to do now you've explained it. For some reason I had brain freeze on how I would attach them etc...!

Cheers Dave

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Pretty easy, and if you make them long enough the vinyl/leather "moulding" around the cockpit keeps them at a good angle for deflecting wind/rain.