Self-Cancelling Indicators

V10Mike

Self-Cancelling Indicators

Post by V10Mike » Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm

I was disappointed to find that my new(to me) Triking was not equipped with self-cancelling indicators. The top collar on the column is too large a diameter to allow the normal friction fit cancelling cam to fit. However, by machining a couple of grooves in the collar, this can fulfil the function of the cancelling cam, as in the picture. Although I milled my grooves, you could achieve the same profile with a file, albeit it would take a lot longer! Make sure any sharp edges are removed.
20210410_122900_HDR resized.jpg
The collar is substantial enough that the loss of section depth is not important.

When refitting the collar, be careful to ensure that there is a small clearance between the collar and thrust bearing at both top and bottom of the steering column, otherwise the UJs will bind and give you "sticky" steering. I was surprised how much more road feel I got after adjusting mine.

Regards, Mike

Richard and Pat

Re: Self-Cancelling Indicators

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 pm

Well done sir.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 am

Ingenious solution Mike.
Better than mine which was a blip on the collar. This was a blob of weld but could have been a grub screw filled down to size. Had to be small so as not to foul on the switch body.
Attachments
IMG_0108a.jpg

V10Mike

Post by V10Mike » Mon May 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Interesting! I started with button head screws, which I gradually filed down to avoid fouling the switch body, until they were too small to work! That's when I had the Eureka moment and realised it would be better to go inwards than outwards!