Toe in

Widdup

Toe in

Post by Widdup » Tue May 11, 2021 3:39 pm

I’ve bought a Trackrite to set the track on my type 3. Does anyone know know what 3mm toe in is in degrees?

colinc

Re: Toe in

Post by colinc » Tue May 11, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi there,

Try this site:
http://www.trackace.co.uk/Manual/Conversion%20Chart.pdf

If I recall correctly the 3mm mentioned is between the fattest part of the tyre when inflated rather than the rim so measure this and use as the “rim” diameter in the table

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on with the trackrite. I have only done a rough setup on my T4 (using a string line so far but was considering these when I fine tune latter.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 am

I have used a TrackRite and a measure method. I used the rim as I understood this to be correct. I'll find the pictures and notes.
Colin: what is the difference between fattest part of the tyre and the rim please? Worried of Biggleswade.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed May 12, 2021 9:53 am

My recent experience with the Trackrite was that at the typical Triking setting of 3mm to 4mm toe in it shows around a quarter of a degree of toe in which seems to be borne out by the chart previously mentioned. I think the Trackrite is useful as a quick check as to whether you have toe in or toe out but if you're after accuracy then the traditional Triking method of straight edges against the rims is the best to go for. Tony Dawson put some pictures up of his method in a previous post.

If you're a real stickler for accuracy you could take your first set of measurements, then move the Triking half a wheel rotation forward or backward and measure again and take the average of the two measurements in case of rim run out etc.

Dave

Widdup

Post by Widdup » Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I’ll play around with it when it comes and report how I go on. I have set it roughly using two lengths of fence post up against the tyres and an old tape measure. Since then I’ve covered 500 miles and no sign of any scrubbing or uneven tyre wear so maybe it’s not that far out.

colinc

Post by colinc » Mon May 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Been offline for a few days but just by way of completing this thread I’ve check the diameter across the fattest part of my tyres and its 22 1/4 inches (mines a type 4 but I guess they all use same wheels)

Widdup

Post by Widdup » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm

It seems that my confidence in old fence posts and a tape measure mentioned below was somewhat misplaced as the Trackrite indicated 0.5 degrees toe out. I’ve set it 0.25 degrees toe in which is a bit tricky as adjusting one side affects the other so you’ve got to get each side equal and then adjust both sides the same amount until the desired setting is achieved. However I’ve not noticed any difference in the steering, it still self centred when toeing out, and it’s still rather skittish at speeds of over 70mph. I’ve shimmed the top wishbones as far backwards as possible (that is right isn’t it? backwards to slow the steering) So perhaps toe in and out is not that critical on a Tricking.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 am

The Triking is sensitive to tire pressures and sizes - what tires are you running front and back and what pressures have you got in them? Shimming the top wishbones back will increase the castor angle and is usually around 6 degrees or thereabouts - I downloaded a protractor app to my phone and held it against the uprights with the casing off the phone to see what mine were. Are you on the standard or high performance front suspension ?

Widdup

Post by Widdup » Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for your comments. I’ve got Mitas 400x18 front tyres at 14 lbs, a Toyo 155 R15 82S at 28 lbs rear tyre and have the new high performance front suspension. I have now also downloaded an online protractor app and was surprised to find that the uprights were at different degrees with the same shims fitted. I can get 5 degrees lean back on the off side with three shims fitted but can only achieve 2 degrees with the maximum of four shims fitted on the near side. This probably won’t help in making the steering feel secure at speed. I think I’ll have to adjust the shims to achieve 2 degrees on the off side to equalise but I would rather have 5 degrees both sides.

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am

24psi would be better on the rear wheel, more rubber on the road but still give good mileage.
2deg castor angle is not enough, 5 on each side is better, depending on your driving style. :shock:
The new front suspension does alter the top geometry a lot, putting the original adjustable top wishbone on it's limits.
Alan does make a revised top wishbone to combat the problem. Worth checking with him.