Steering adjustment

iant-s

Steering adjustment

Post by iant-s » Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I have been fitting my front mudguards which has made me realise that the amount of full steering lock is different side to side. As things stand I cannot fit the passengers side guard without it fouling against the pipe (it aint gonna pass MSVA like that!). Drivers side is perfect but still has some "elbow room" if necessary. I currently have everything set up to be as similar on both sides as I can with the steering set dead ahead. I have measured the track-rods and all the suspension set-up and it all seems correct and similar side to side. I have one hour and 20 minutes of steering wheel rotation on both sides and the steering rack is in the only place it can be as far as I can see (see photo).
Small version 3.JPG
The only option I can see is to adjust the track-rods to increase the amount of lock on the drivers side bringing the tyre nearer to the body and then adjust the passengers side to reduce the steering lock holding the tyre further away from the body. Doing both will maintain the tracking and then I would use the steering column splines to centre the steering wheel again.

I must have done something wrong at initial set-up?, or is adjusting the track-rods normal practice? See the photos where I am measuring from tyres to exhaust pipe.
Small version 1.JPG
Small version 2.JPG
I have 20mm more clearance on the drivers side.
Could someone perhaps measure or post similar pics for me to compare against and any thoughts/comments appreciated.

peakrock

Re: Steering adjustment

Post by peakrock » Mon May 10, 2021 3:30 pm

As it happens I've just been doing the same with my steering setup to fine tune my high performance front suspension. I put an additional thick washer where the track rod extender bolts into the track rod on the nearside and slightly extended the track rod out from the rack on the offside and that was sufficient to get equal lock on both sides. You only need a small amount as on full lock I guess the lever/fulcrum ratio changes between the steering arm and track rod such that a small amount of rack movement has a bigger effect than when the steering rack is in the straight ahead position.
Dave

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon May 10, 2021 3:46 pm

The gap between your tyre and the frame is very generous.
Perhaps reducing would alleviate the problem a little.

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Thu May 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Dave peakrock is correct when he says a small adjustment makes a big difference. I had in mind the two steering arms being hugely different, when in fact it was just 2 turns on one side and one on the other to correct the tracking. I have reduced the mudguard bracket clearance each side by 10mm so all is now well. Thanks to all for the advice.