Front mudguard installation

iant-s

Front mudguard installation

Post by iant-s » Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm

I am currently installing my front mudguards using Triking mild steel brackets. I found I had to do some careful bending (straightening) to make them clear the tyres. I have Heidenau sidecar tyres installed with a square profile. I now have about 15mm clearance between the bracket and tyre, so I am thinking this is sufficient. Comments invited please.
I understand that black PU mastic/adhesive (as used to fix the bodywork to chassis) is the correct stuff to attach the blades to the brackets and I have been offering the glass fibre mudguard blades to the frames to inspect the fit.
If I hold the blades directly onto the metalwork the valancing is very close to the tyre - to the point where the wheel would be tricky to slide off the axle. I have experimented with packers and find 8mm at the front and 15mm at the back gives a good clearance and looks correct. I have not found any other reference anyone else having to fit packing pieces on the Forum so I am asking for other peoples experiences and methods. Am I on the right track or have I done something wrong?

Weg

Re: Front mudguard installation

Post by Weg » Tue May 04, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi Ian, you are on the right track.
Black PU adhesive is the stuff to use.
Pictures explain my method of holding them in correct place for 24 hours while the stuff sets.
You need the wheel in place to get the correct position.
Don't worry about getting the wheel off with mudguard in place, once the the wheel nut is off, the outer bearing will 'fall' out allowing the wheel to lean over.
Good choice of tyre.
IMG_0958a.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0966a.jpg
IMG_0964a.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 am

Following Toy's method above has achieved the job satisfactorily three times so far. I used aluminium bar as it was more easily available at the time. [Guess who did not remove the security batten across the bottom of the shed doorway before relocating the build and removed the rear bottom edges of a new pair of mudguard blades.]

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm

I have the same tires and also have about the same clearance. I wonder if other tires have smaller sidewalls that would give more clearance? I have about 3500 miles on the Heidenau and they still look good.

I actually did the glue and screw method to attach the mudguards. I placed the guards on the brackets and found a good spot for two stainless button head cap screws that thread directly into the brackets. I drilled and tapped for an M6x1.0 screw. It looks like most people only glue. I had little experience with the PU adhesive and was more comfortable with some screws. The other plus is, that as you tighten the screws, the fender will twist left or right on the bracket which allows you to tweak the fender straight until the PU glue cures. Once it cures you can tighten them up a little more. I don't mind the look of some exposed fasteners holding them on. Just remember to grind off the excess length of screw from the underside of the bracket.