Cali fuel injection

YOP

Cali fuel injection

Post by YOP » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 pm

I have had my Triking `Yop` on the road for the last 4 years. The engine was taken from a 1997 1100 Cali with fuel injection. Mine has the early ECU with a large box and a smaller unit. Although I am not totally unhappy with the `Yops` performance I am sure it could be better. I would like to know if any members have found or used an update to the ECU . I understand that there is a product called `Power Commander` which enables a certain degree of engine tuning. Is this all that is available or are there other products on the market which enable better control. Considering how the technology of the mobile phone has lept forward over the last 20 years the control of a vee twin engine with so few inputs should seem childs play. I know nothing at all about electronics and so do not want to know about plans for making my own ECU with ex MOD bits from Proops or Gamages, I just need to know if there is anything available for me to fit, that can be tuned on a rolling road to suit my dear `YOP`.

Richard and Pat

Re: Cali fuel injection

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Hello 'Yop',
Whilst I cannot answer your question the mention of Gamages and Proops tickled my memory banks and for that I thank you.
I will put your request on the Triking Owners Club and Moto Guzzi Owners club UK Fadebook [sic] pages and report back any findings.
All the best
Richard S

YOP

Post by YOP » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:13 pm

Richard
thank you for that. If I tell you that Yop was my dog when I lived at home in the early sixties you might understand why Proops and Gamages are part of my upbringing. By the way Yop was a Jack Russel terrier and although he was my best friend in my early teens he would fight any other dog that we met in the village, especially his brother who lived round the corner. Unfortunately he died early when he went down a fox hole that had been gassed.
Peter.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Thank you for that little insight Peter,
Glad to meet as it were. Here are a couple of responses so far from the Triking owners facebook page:
Dan-Peter Nilsson
I recomond " Powercomander" lot off guzzi drivers have it on there bikes.
Shaun Armstrong
I’m a bike rider as well and power commander is the market leader for bikes and can be operated from your phone if you’re brave enough!
Gavin MacBain Meldrum
If you want more fiddle-ability check out myECU by Cliff Jefferies. I have one in my MG 1100 Sport ie. Personally not a fan of Power Commander but I can see the attraction.
From 3 Wheeled Kit car page:
Steve Parrish
Hi I have a 2007 Ecu fitted to my
750 Brava engined trike ,it’s a small Ali box with one plug multipin connection, the moto guzzi electical Manual was very helpful with the plug contacts all explained, that era they are a very simple Ecu, which can be flashed to up grade them to suit, as you say things move on
The power commander is an upgrade for the Ecu, but you still need the Ecu.
There was plenty of info in online moto guzzi forums.
All the best
Richard

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 am

Urs Baumann
[From Triking Owners Club Facebook page:]
Leave it as it is as the 1997-2001 Cali EV engines are pretty powerful and have quite a lot of torque, the best Cali-engines ever made (non-cat engines, Euro1).
Had the same engine in my 2001 Cali EV SS, it run way better than the later cat-engines.
Let‘s be clear, it‘s a cruiser engine, not a sports engine with a lighter flywheel/clutch and bigger valves for more vroooom.
If you decide to use a powermapping, have the airbox reworked for better breathing.
If you want to have the real thing, go for a 1200 8V engine which can be tuned up to 1400cc.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi Peter,
Dom Chud [in France, Type 2] sent this message:
I want to put this gentleman in touch with my son to see his ECU problem. he needs the brand and the reference of the ECU

YOP

Post by YOP » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:56 pm

I think that Urs Bauman might be right "leave things alone". But I remember when I built Yop talking to Alan about fitting the Power Commander. He said that there is little that you can do to a standard Moto Guzzi ECU and that it was obviousley set up for a bike which has to meet world wide emissions. Alan said that he had the Power Commander set up to suit the Trikings driving style. The one thing that bugs me is when I start up cold the injectors just throw fuel into the cylinders and it runs extremely rich until things warm up. If I move off slowly while the engine is still cold it can stall quite easily if you let the revs down, in fact I have just fitted the hand throttle to keep the engine ticking over slightly quicker until things warm up. I think that the bike had this facility but I was told that it was not necessary when I built Yop. But when I`ve taken the exhausts off they always seem to be well sooted . Urs mentioned the air box, this I haven`t got, I fitted individual air filters straight to each injector. When I started this post I really wanted to find out what other owners had thought of the standard injection set up and what they had done to improve things if anything and also if a Power Commander was fitted what they felt they had gained from it`s fitment.
Peter.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 pm

This from the TO Facebook page:
Alan Layzell
There is no power commander available that is a "plug in" installation for the early ECU. The early ECU can be re-mapped. This is the simplest solution.

YOP

Post by YOP » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:08 pm

I would go with that (remapping). Who do you talk to about remapping ?

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 am

I built a Jeffries ECU for my previous Triking but in the end I stuck with the standard ECU and kept it as a spare. I agree about it being easy to stall when cold but overall I found it drove well enough on the standard ECU so I never really finished the project off. However, I may persevere with my new Triking once I've got it registered. Here's a link to a PDF file in Google Drive that I wrote about building the ECU and identifying which one you have. Cliff can also supply fully built and tested ECU's I believe so that's also an option.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bQ5zb_ ... sp=sharing

Dave