Propshaft self aligning bearings

Doverhay

Propshaft self aligning bearings

Post by Doverhay » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:56 pm

I’m not sure if anyone has had the same problem as I’ve suffered with the Allen screws coming loose on the propshaft self aligning bearings. On my last few runs out I noticed a squeaky noise coming from the transmission area, after hoisting the car up I realised the Allen screws that lock the bearing to the propshaft were loose. On closer examination I realised the bearing had worn a slight groove in the propshaft🥴; however, not enough at this time to force me to replace the shafts😥. The reason for this post is to ensure you are aware of damage that could be caused if these screws are not kept tight and that they are examined on a regular basis, this is for both the front and rear propshaft bearings. Perhaps use a little medium thread lock.
Attachments
84D8EFCB-1313-4D3B-BA38-245F0CD6BF3A.jpeg

Richard and Pat

Re: Propshaft self aligning bearings

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you Richard,
I'll check mine tomorrow.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks Dick, I'm about to start my major service so will check.
How about putting a rubber grommet on that chassis hole with cable/hose going through :shock:

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:33 pm

I could have put money on you noticing the missing grommet😂, the minute I posted it I was just waiting for your comment, it’s a job I’d forgot about until I took the photo, it’s now back on the job list😉😀😂

steveO

Post by steveO » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi,
One bearing allen screw was actually missing when I purchased my type 1. I had to get a couple of replacements from Allan so good idea to threadlock.
Steve