Exhaust installation and silencer mounting

iant-s

Exhaust installation and silencer mounting

Post by iant-s » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:17 am

Been thinking about my Triking supplied exhaust system installation.

Should I be allowing for expansion when the system gets warm? All the joints appear to be clamped up solid - or should I be setting them so there could be some slippage?

Exhaust to silencer joints - Clamp up tight or allow some ability to slide? That's quite a long straight pipe length which I am sure will get longer if stuck in traffic. Insert braided expansion pieces perhaps?

Silencer mounting points - is there any call for resilient mounts or do I bolt the silencers solid to the chassis?

Anyone got photos of their silencer mounting arrangements so I can pinch some ideas? I want to use the Cali EV silencers from the donor bike.

Weg

Re: Exhaust installation and silencer mounting

Post by Weg » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am

Good choice using the donor silencers, they're not too noisy. Mounting holes are in the right place.
I think the original bracket and long bolt/tube arrangement, supplied by Al, bolted through the rear chassis upright gives enough flexibility for expansion.
I did away with the balancer pipe (first bit to hit the ground going out of my drive) and expansion cans.
The support they gave is replaced by bespoke 'slipper' brackets.
Works well for me 8-)
Attachments
DSC00274a.jpg
DSC00273a.jpg

frederick

Post by frederick » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:21 am

This what i did (t4) ...pipes factory length, “p” clamp is rubber mounted with 2-3/8" bolts and extra wide fender washers inside body. The clamps secure 13” stainless resonators. Sound is glorious, not overwhelming aurally or visually. Everything tight...braided couplers allow movement without rattling or pipes drooping.
PIPE.jpg
MOUNT.jpg

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:27 pm

I’m trying the non balance pipe system; however, I’m still retaining the expansion boxes. The exhaust note is louder, especially with the induction roar from the Weber carb trumpets.
Attachments
4AC9E7F7-F65B-400F-8973-4877C32D0EBD.jpeg
9D52D257-7283-4197-B1F4-68EE424C65E0.jpeg

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 pm

I made up a pair of pillars to carry isolastic mounts. Then I attached the original bike silencers but was disappointed to find that the silencers were too heavy. I had chosen quite hard grade mounts but even so the silencers flobbled (a technical term) around on them. This wobbly mounting would actually introduce vibration, not reduce it. So the idea was rejected.
Instead I have made up simple spacers and long bolts onto the original silencer mounting brackets. This gives a good solid attachment and looks neat.

Attaching in the usual place the double mounting might be a bit over-engineering, but the isolastic system called for two so I had cut holes in the bodywork. So I have two mounts regardless. ;)
IMG_2738 - Copy.JPG
Exhaust mount external view
I will be using nylock nuts on the final version to avoid littering the highway.
Attachments
IMG_2737 - Copy.JPG
Exhaust mount internal view