LOOSE SPOKES

Throwley

LOOSE SPOKES

Post by Throwley » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am

Simple question - why do my spokes keep loosening?

I have a Type 1 and despite a regular checking and retightening, when I push the Triking back into the garage after even a gentle trip, there's the 'orrible crinkling noise from the front wheels. Even on the rear wheels of sidecar combinations I've owned I've not had spokes slackening so quickly so I'm a little concerned. Anybody had similar?

Doverhay

Re: LOOSE SPOKES

Post by Doverhay » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 pm

I had this problem after 20k miles on my T3. I put it down to the limited suspension travel on the standard setup. There’s nothing wrong with the suspension; however, it doesn’t handle potholes very well. Triking now offer a new design suspension set up which I have fitted and has sorted the problem. I did have to replace the wheels due to the wear the spokes had caused on the hubs, the holes were elongated and made it impossible to set up the wheel correctly. If the rims are ok replacing the hubs and spokes is another option.
Changing the original shocks for a better set up is also an option and well worth looking at, at least one owner as gone down that path successfully. I believe there’s info on the forum to help.
Hope this helps.

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:31 pm

My front suspension is the same as Dick's.
Thoroughly recommended.
I don't think tightening a spoke up if it becomes loose will do any good.
Tighten one spoke will take tension off another which will then be candidate for the next loose spoke.
Minimum solution is a new set of spokes.
Then consider if the upgraded suspension option is available for the T1 to help get rid of the cause.

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 am

Doverhay wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 pm
the holes were elongated and made it impossible to set up the wheel correctly.
Will check for this - have had this on an old outfit, with the same effect, so long ago I'd forgotten!

Thanks for the answers, chaps.

Crozier3

Post by Crozier3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Guys,
I am not sure if this is related but you must beware of the materials used.
There was a time where the use of stainless was the bee all and end all. Or was it many people found that after building wheels they had loose spokes...what actually happened was the stainless nipples fired onto the stainless spokes and while they appeared to be tight they were actually seized.
Experience has given a good solution by using stainless spokes together with Brass plated nipples, a very little lub and they behave as they should allowing the wheel to be trued and to have a good life.

How do I know
regards Crozier 3

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:40 am

Hi Throwley
Are your rims aluminium? Our Type 1, no long owned, was, as I think the majority of Type 1s are, Akront/Morad aluminium.
Very nice rims, but if they are the originals they are now well over 30 years old and have endured a stressful life guiding your Triking.
From my experience, even and correct spoke tension is essential and if spokes begin to loosen you can tighten individual ones but unless you have the skill to DIY the full wheel the real answer is to have it overhauled by a pro wheel builder who will tension all the spokes correctly. New spokes may be needed and also check for very small cracks that run out from and between the spoke holes. These can be welded but really this is the time to think of replacement.
Regards
Paul

SIG 4643

Post by SIG 4643 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:40 pm

I think the original Triking front wheel hubs were machined aluminium castings but that that later hubs were machined From Aluminium Alloy (HE30?) billets to improve quality. Maybe the use of early hubs could be the cause of spokes coming loose.

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:59 am

An update on my wheels...
I disassembled the wheel to check the hub spoke drillings. No cracks, no wear, thank goodness.
On reassembly, I found that the wheel had been rebuilt previously with quite a few replacement spokes. Unfortunately the replacements had been ordered too long and cut down to fit. This left the threads a turn or two too short so the nipples were bottoming out and not allowing full tension. Spokes replaced with correct length courtesy of Devon rims (HOW much?), wheel rebuilt and refitted. Crinkly noise no more.
Just the other side to do now :-(

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Worth noting. Thank you.

Crozier3

Post by Crozier3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:08 pm

hi all,
In order to get the best result that I wanted, I gave my wheels to a Professional builder . That gave me spokes that were the correct length AND the spokes were threaded the full length required. A small cost but one well spending.
Bill aka Crozier3