Build tread (kind of)

Berglind

Build tread (kind of)

Post by Berglind » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:37 am

Hi everybody!

I have started gathering the things nessecary for the build and am looking forvard to delivery of frame and parts from Triking somewhere July - September.

The swedish regulations regarding the making of vehicles are a bit stiff but far better than Denmark and Norway where it's almost impossible. I'm not allowed to buy and assembly a complete kitcar but has to make as many parts as possible by my own or buy from different suppliers, making it more of "my own creation" This of course makes it harder but as a teacher of Sloyd i can do quite a lot of it and count it as "work related practice". (and i do need to get better at shaping sheet metal)

First off was to get somewhere to do the actual work, the garage was filled with a Saab 96 and >10 years of old saab parts but after a quite fast sell and 4-5 days of cleaning, moving stuff around and painting walls its actually useful as a small workshop. It's not large but one of many reason that i choosed a Triking was it's nimble size. :D
20200418_175921_f.jpg
One day the delivery company called and said that he stood somewhere in the forest and didnt dare to go further, the road was to small. I said that just back up as far as you dare and offload it where you can. So when i got home from work i was met by i nice packet:
20200415_145352_f.jpg
(my girlfriend had guarded it, armed with a cup of tea and two cats)

Beeing careful with my back i changed my plan to just lift the engine into the car and instead put it on i silly litte trolley and pulled it the last hundred meters.
20200415_152243_f.jpg
Once inside i could start cleaning it up and check all the parts. It was not cheap but counting what a used Guzzi here in sweden had cost (or one from abroad + shipping + paperwork) it was resonable.
And i didnt have the mess of storing and selling various parts to all the weirdos on internet (you excluded of course) ;)
Attachments
20200415_153031_f.jpg

Berglind

Re: Build tread (kind of)

Post by Berglind » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am

I have no idea why two pictures are turned around but here comes some more.

I have started ordering some things from around the internet and found a nice steering wheel.
20200426-211514_f.jpg
Got one of the riveted ones from a similar supplier to the old saab but that had too much of a look of plywood. This one seems to have the grain oriented along the rim as it "should" be. Or i hope so at least, it has not arrived yet.

The engine comes from a 2004 California 1100 injection. I must admit to being a novice around fuel injection but one of the goals of this project is to learn new things...
20200426_153120_f.jpg
The electrical system looks "interesting" but i thing i soon have found out where everything shall fit.

It came without the air filter and i have been pondering about if i should get a used one or make one myself. Making one of course takes time but i can adapt it to fit its sorroundings better.
As said before- a novice - does the lengt of the intake tubes have a purpose? Does the chamber before the filter have to be a specific volume?
20200427-034837_f.jpg
20200427-034852_f.jpg
I wont start building until i have the frame and can get all the measurements correctly but i like to plan ahead and have all facts and parts ready then.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi Berglind,
Welcome to the club. To begin with was your girlfriend and two cats guarding against Bears or Moto Guzzi owners? Assume two cats are not Tigers.
I recently tried to fit an air box from the bike and have one here if you insist. It has been done but I think one like Alan makes [since you need to make stuff] would be better looking to catch the fumes and use the K&N air filters as these can be cleaned and reused. I prefer the cone shape rather than the tube shape if you can find them.
The last of the picture show an airbox that is over large.
All the best and if you have Facebook do look up Triking Owners Club page. If you would like the Trifles
newsletter then please send your email to trikingowners at gmail.com. [no spaces and an @ obvs.] :lol:
Richard
Attachments
rsz_img_Sq Catcher and tool bag.jpg
rsz_img_Catch tank.jpg
rsz_Air box.jpg
rsz_Air box.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 411130 times

frederick

Post by frederick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Welcome. what other parts came with your donor motor?

I started with an '08 Norge 1200 donor and used the recommended K&N filters adopting the stock crank vent body...ugly but hidden under the nose.
CRANKVENT.jpg
I'm building a T4 which I believe is somewhat similar to yours. I'm about 3/4 done with mine except painting the body shell, unfortunately in limbo due to the northern california covid crack down. I have documented every build step to date in a facebook album which you're welcome to view...just friend me "frederick.fortune.1"

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 am

Richard and Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:48 pm
Hi Berglind,
Welcome to the club. To begin with was your girlfriend and two cats guarding against Bears or Moto Guzzi owners? Assume two cats are not Tigers.
Thank you!
Mosty against bears on Guzzis but they are both quite rare here. :D

A solution with cleanable cone airfilters sound like a good idea! Got curious yesterday and spent some time reading up on the whole subject, it seems to be a whole science in dimentions, lengts and other magic. A airbox with filter would dampen the nice engine sound but since i already got tinnitus (a bonus from work with loud tools and louder children) i think i'll go for a more quiet filter.

Is the Gunson bag a for tools? Looks good!

Frederic - Thank you! I'll add you later today.

With the engine i also got the rear swing arm with cardan, ecu, exhaust, ignition, fuel pump & regulator and electrical wires. So mostly all the needed stuff and the rest i can probably get from local stores.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

Yes the Gunson bag is for tools and a golf [very small, wind cheating] coat.
All the best
Richard

jtdesign

Post by jtdesign » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Berglind,
I can help a bit with the fuel injection if you need. There is a modified ECU map which suits the Trikng engine installation and, if needed, can remove the need for a lambda sensor (if your country's approval system allows this).
The usual air cleaner approach is to use two K&N filters and if you also fit a bulkhead between the engine and the "passenger compartment" the induction noise is not particularly loud. The Guzzi air box is way too big to fit in without a lot of work, but a smaller air box with a paper elemrnt filter will be quieter and will filter better than the K&Ns if you are in a dusty environment.
Most of the published fuel injection info is for car systems which tend to be more complex (and better) than the bike ones. Mainly this is because they make an attempt to measure the air flow into the engine and the plenum chambers and tuned pipe lengths are to achieve a steady air flow through the metering system. The bike systems work on a simpler principal of measuring throttle position and engine revs and then "predicting" the fuel requirement from a look-up table (the map). Because there is no air metering the inlet system is less critical and the longer inlet tracts are not an absolute requirement.
The inlet geometry does, of course, alter the engine breathing which will mean that the fuel predictions by the ECU will not be quite right - but then the exhaust also affects this and the Triking exhaust is vastly different to the normal one fitted to the bike. All in all, however, the errors are not too great and the EFI engines run well in the Triking.

Good luck with the build - there are lots of people here who can answer your questions.
John

Jdtwoplus

Post by Jdtwoplus » Sat May 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Happy to endorse John, jtdesign, (and no doubt embarrass him) who managed the complications of my 8v1200 engine in my Type 4. I warned him that the engine had never quite run right when it was a Norge, so I had fitted Fatducs and faffed endlessly with it. However it runs better now in a Type 4 than it ever did in the bike. Thanks john.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, been a busy weekend. Long list of thing to get done before the Triking build start, after that i suspect less walls will be plastered and tomatoes planted. :D

It seems like the most sensible thing to do is to wait untill i can mount the engine in the frame and start measuring. It came without lambda sensor but there are plugged couplings on the exhaust that looks like they would fit a sensor. Are they there for measuring in the factory? The exhaust i got have two balance tubes but i dont yet know if they will interfere with the frame. (or if they will contribute to better performance once the rest of the system has been modified. That will be a later story)

I have soon read all the treads on the forum and i am truely impressed by the knowledge and cunning of you all. Thank you so much!

jtdesign

Post by jtdesign » Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi Berglind,
The work / life / Triking balance is always difficult - we just need 30 hour days.

With a 2004 bike it is difficult to know weather it had a lambda probe or not - they were introduced around that time, but different countries got them at different times.
If you look at the label on the ECU then an IAW15M does not have a lambda probe and an IAW15RC does. It is possible to re-map the 15RC to turn the lambda probe off, so if you don't need a catalytic converter and lambda probe to achieve road-worthiness then I would recommend no lambda.
The type 3 Trikings usually have a balance pipe which also supports the front of the exhaust side pipes - maybe one of the type 3 owners can post a pic. The type 4s do without a balance pipe.

John