Re: Build tread (kind of)

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 am

Wonderful, now for some fun.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm

20200918_151123.jpg
20200918_151123.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 352641 times
When mounting the bearing - is it enough to just put it in the freezer for a while or does the hub need to be heated in the oven too? If so, what temperature?

If i see correctly on the pictures in the triking shop should the bolts that hold the hub center to the hub be on the same side as the air valve?

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi Kristoffer.

We just press the bearings in to the hub at room temperature, If it makes it easier you can put the bearing in the freezer and heat the hub in the oven - about 20 minutes at around 150 degrees C should do it.
The hub to wheel connection can be either way around - they are made with an off-set to provide two different clearances to increase options when matching the wheel assembly to the various different Guzzi swing arms. Or to put it another way, just fit it the way around that best suits your parts !

Alan

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:33 am

Also - its is VERY important you fit the bearing spacer in the hub between the 2 wheel bearings, The purpose of the spacer is to allow the wheel axle to be fully tight without placing any side load on the bearings. Depending on the type of donor wheel you have it is sometimes necessary to shorten the length of the spacer. It should be at least 0.1mm longer than the distance between the 2 bearing outer seats. The easiest way to check is to install one bearing then measure the remaining distance from the face of the fitted bearing to the seat on the opposing one. When assembled it can be checked by installing an axle or large bolt / stud and fully tightening it. The axle should turn freely with no significant drag or side load on the bearings.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Thank you for the advice!
A long time ago i promised my girlfriend to help out on one of her courses so it seems i wont get anything done this weekend. Thinking about faking sick next week and stay in the garage but got too much concience...

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Good thinking, don’t forget to record the brownie points

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:21 am

Despite my not very helpful helper it soon stand in its wheels. :D
20200923_175048.jpg
20200923_180953.jpg
Forgot some parts but i hope to test mount the engine this weekend. The steering wheel i bought quite early is far too big but i maybe follow my old plan and simply make one myself. After all, bending wood and sawing aluminium i can do at my work. :mrgreen:

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am

All looking good so far. Are you taking a Cat nap?

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Looking good! Its always nice to have a furry helper in the shop. My old girl (35 kg German Shepherd) would lay on her bed under the Triking while I was building it.

Its nice to have the Triking on stands while building it. Saves your back. I really enjoyed building mine. So much so that I may just pull the engine and transmission this winter and try to re-shim the gearbox shift drum and shafts to reduce axial play. I have been reading up on it should make for a cleaner shifts.

If you build a steering wheel please post some pics of the process. I have contemplated doing that too. I could always buy one but what's the fun in that?

Enjoy your build.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:21 am

Back on proper working heigth i test fitted the engine and front wheels. Now i can start taking measurements and plan for airfilter box, tank for oil and other parts.
20200925_165739.jpg
Made a temporary steering wheel just to see what size would feel right and for a reference to the dash board. I think the top line of the dash will be more rounded even if it makes the hood harder to shape later on.
20200925_190756.jpg
If i make a proper steering wheel myself i promise to post more pictures.
Most of today will be spent on other things but tomorrow i will sort out the last missing pieces that will need to be ordered.