Removing rear wheel

EricStarmer

Removing rear wheel

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Since the weather took a downturn, I decided now is the time to replace my donor rear wheel / tyre with a modular rear wheel and car tyre. I have a Type 2. I'm mostly worried about getting the cush drive off and on - since I haven't seen inside one before, I'm not sure what to expect - will things fall out when I detach the wheel - does the new wheel have to be lined up rotationally in a certain way to get it on ? How did other Type 1/2 owners raise the rear end high enough to get the wheel out ? Any tips and suggestions in general would be appreciated.

Eric

EricStarmer

Re: Removing rear wheel

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Well, I got the wheel out pretty easily - glad I didn't get a wider new tyre - wouldn't fit. Not sure what I expected when I got the wheel off, but it wasn't this - where are the rubbers ? Have they been removed - are they under that plate ? Do I use a gear puller to remove that gear, and then press it onto the new bearing - but then the bearing won't go into the new wheel ....
Attachments
Rear Wheel 3.jpg
Rear Wheel 2.jpg
Rear Wheel 1.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:17 pm

I think the rubbers are under that plate Eric. [in the wheel].

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Thanks, Richard - you're right ! The reason I was expecting to see them after I took the wheel off was because this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDuXvICrrBc said they might fall out, and in fact, one did fall out in his video. No way they can fall out on my wheel - guess MG changed things at some point. Now my next problem is I need a spacer between the two bearings - presumably it should be a piece of thick tubing so that it spreads across both the inner and outer parts of the bearings. Maybe I can press out (or hammer out) the bearings on the MG wheel so I can get the spacer out of there and use it.

BSA

Post by BSA » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:23 am

Hi Eric

All will become clear when you remove the keeper held with an Allen bolt and prise out the large circlip which retains the plate/splines in the hub.

You will see the cush rubbers for re-use in the Triking hub.

The spacer runs between the inner races of the bearings - just a spacer tube. Drift a bearing out of the Guzzi wheel and the spacer will reveal itself.

Measure the spacer carefully - when the wheel is bolted up you need to be sure that you are not putting a thrust (axial) load on the wheel bearings - if you do (like me) you will be up for a new set of wheel bearings in a few thousand miles. I had to make a slightly longer spacer.

Rohan

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks, Rohan - yes - I took out the circlip and plate/gear, and lo and behold there were the rubbers - in very good shape I might add.
So the spacer should be very slightly longer than the distance between the "lands" in the hub on which the outer races of the bearings would sit, so that when I tighten up the big nut on the end of the spindle the spacer takes the load off the inner bearing races ?

BSA

Post by BSA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 am

Exactly Eric. In my case I had to make a new spacer 0.7mm longer - I suspect that most of the time the spacer from the guzzi wheel would be fine as is.

Cheers
Rohan

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks, Rojan - as it turned out, the original spacer worked seemed the perfect length, and I almost have everything back together now - thank you everyone for your help. Glad I didn't go for a bigger tyre, as I had to partially deflate the one I have (155R15) to get it to go between the swing arms.