Thinking about buying a 1100 cc engine.

Berglind

Thinking about buying a 1100 cc engine.

Post by Berglind » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi!

Im slowly planning my build of a T3 and has found a engine from TLM parts in Holland.
They offer me a 1100 cc engine with injection, complete with clutch/gearbox/rear fork/cardan/ ecu, for €2500,-
Is that a resonable price if the engine is in good running order?
I must admit bike engines are a new experience and price range, the old Saab V4 engines usualy cost £100 :)

Should i ask for more parts for that amount?
What else is wise to purcase at the same time?

Kindly
Kristoffer
Sweden

Spaniard

Re: Thinking about buying a 1100 cc engine.

Post by Spaniard » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 pm

I am not sure of the prices of things in Europe compared to the US, but you will also need the ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, wiring harness for the ecu, rear wheel, and a few other items I can’t think of at the moment.

If you can find a complete running bike you might be better off. That way you know you have everything you need from the donor.

Just as a reference, I paid $3000 for a 2002 California with 20,000 miles on it. Some of the parts I didn’t use can be sold on eBay but I haven’t done that yet.

Hope it helps.

Ivan

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Thank you!
I have been looking at used bikes here in sweden and those in good running order usually cost above £4000. Moto Guzzi seems to be appeciated but rare here and quite expensive compared to the asian makers.

I will see if TLM can include the rest of the parts for that price.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm

If you have the time and the patience the cheapest route is to buy a complete California and sell off the parts you don't need on eBay as there is a strong market for good used Californina spares. By way of example, I bought a California 1100i for £1,850 that had been standing for a while and sold the parts I didn't need for around £1200 so all the parts I needed for the Triking such as the engine, gearbox, rear forks, wheel, ECU etc cost me £650 in the end. I think Tony (tamos) who is documenting his build did even better selling his parts off.

Dave

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 am

Fully agree with Dave. I bought 1998 California that had stood outside for a while, but with a recorded mileage of 17000, for £2400. Whilst waiting for Triking kit I spent some time cleaning parts from bike that were not required, advertised them on eBay and Gumtree and got back £1950 (approx £1800 after eBay and PayPal fees).
Not only is this the cheapest way to get your donor parts but you can also test everything out before dismantling bike. Also, if you are retired and have plenty of spare time, the process of selling unwanted parts is quite enjoyable.
Cheers, Tony

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 am

The used bikes here in sweden are usually €3-5000 so even if i can sell of a lot of the parts it will still be more expensive. There are a lot of engines on the american ebay but shipping a engine across half the wold seems a bit excessive.

I completley understand the advantage of being able to test the engine on a running bike before dismantling it. Unfortunately i do not not have a drivers licence for motorbike so it i could only drive in the dark on the small roads, the local police students likes to practice along the highway where i live. :roll:

Retirement is about twenty years ahead (if they let ut retire then and not just use us as landfill) and there are no lack of other thing to do. A man with a old house and a young wife has no trouble with spare time as the saying goes. :D

Thanks for reminding me about "ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, wiring harness for the ecu" - i make sure to get those as well. And see if i can get the price down a bit.

Thanks for all you help! Not only in this tread - as one who has not yet started the build it wonderful to read all your tips and ideas on different subjects.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:49 pm

You might also want the coil brackets, the shift linkage for the transmission, the spacers for the rear fork (we call it a swinger in the US) and make sure you get the double u-joint for drive shaft.

I also used the exhaust clamps from the stock bike. If you are using a rear wheel from the bike you will need that too. If you are getting the 15" wheel for the car type tire there are a few items from the cush drive on the moto wheel that needs to transfer over. You would also need the rear axle.

Make sure the engine has the stator coil and rotor as well as the regulator / rectifier. Rear shocks can also be used and the hardware that goes with it, although I hear there is a little Swedish company that is rumored to make some pretty good shocks. ;)

Like many have said it is much much easier to get a complete bike and sell the rest. You are sure to find a few items that you need from the bike that were missed above and other posts.

Can you find a complete donor bike in NL and take that back to Sweden? You don't need to be able to ride the bike. Its nice just to have a complete bike for all the parts you need.

Good luck with the build. It was like Legos for big kids. So much fun.

When I bought my Triking it was already ordered and shipped to Johann of Triking USA. It was already spec'd out with certain options so I had no chance to add or delete options. It came with ox blood red leather interior. I was originally going to go with vinyl interior to save a little money. So glad I got the leather. It really is nice. It also has the pleated tunnel cover and the little pockets in the side panels, both upgrades. I think it really makes it look better. The reverse gear option is well worth it too. Touring windshield a plus over the two individual screens.

Ivan

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Kristoffer, have just seen very low mileage California on eBay, current bid £1650 with 6 days to go.
Bike has stood for a while but apparently runs well. The seller is prepared to ship internationally.
Tony

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:29 am

Last edited by Richard and Pat on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berglind

Post by Berglind » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks for the advices Ivan and Tony!
I found it on ebay and will check what the shipping will be. Also has to talk to our SFRO (pre-MOT organisation in sweden) about the rules regarding using a imported donor.