A-FRAME Goes Legal

peakrock

Re: A-FRAME Goes Legal

Post by peakrock » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:48 am

The forthcoming Peak District meet prompted me to get round to building a braked A frame for the Triking. It uses a Knott coupling rated at 750KG, more than enough for the Triking. I had some 60 x 60 x 6 angle iron pieces from long ago and used those for the main sections, there's no doubt they'll be strong enough!
There is an aluminum tube between the front chassis rails, stepped collars fit into it at each end and a high tensile threaded rod goes through the collars and into rose joints at the wide section of the A frame.
A-frame-under-construction.jpg
Brakes on the Triking are operated via a cable from the overrun coupling to the Triking brake pedal. The Triking rear lights are slaved off the towing vehicle lights via a 7 pin trailer socket on the Triking bulkhead and a short extending cable from that to the van trailer socket.
A-frame-trial-fit.jpg
I've used some old climbing slings and karabiners round the engine barrels to support the A frame should it become detached from the towing vehicle (a legal requirement), I've also made up a number plate holder with warning triangles as the towing vehicle number plate has to be shown and triangles are required as it's now a trailer. Breakaway cable operates handbrake lever which has been restricted in travel as per West End Guzzi's solution.

As far as I can tell it's 100% legal for UK roads.