Type 4 Pedal Box in Type 3

peakrock

Type 4 Pedal Box in Type 3

Post by peakrock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 pm

I've modified the new Type 4 pedal box to fit in the Type 3 that I'm building. It's a well engineered item with pedals and shafts CNC machined out of aluminum billet. The pedals themselves are adjustable sideways and up and down and it's also cheaper than the existing Type 2/3 pedal box (which I have in my Type 2 with the attractive stainless steel pedals). It also seemed an interesting challenge to see if it would fit....

The new box is wider than the old one and requires significant surgery to fit in the space, it's also necessary to fabricate new arms for the clutch pedal cable and the accelerator pedal which need to have the same distance and throw as the original pedal box. Fortunately I was able to take measurements off my Type 2 clutch and accelerator pedals to get these right.

I wouldn't recommend fitting one to an existing Triking as the standard pedal setup works well and it would be awkward with the body on. Also, I guess most people are now building Type 4's but for those building a Type 3 or for those who might be interested here's what you do.

Remove all the pedals with shafts and cut the mounting bracket in half adjacent to the throttle pedal bush. Enlarge or cut away the bracket where the master cylinders could have been mounted - it's easier to put the master cylinders on the Triking bulkhead and use pushrod extenders. Cut away the side mount on the bracket and drill four new holes in the bracket to bolt it to the floor. Most of the throttle pedal mechanism can be discarded and the remaining part of the bracket slimmed down and cut back. There are a couple of photos here that show what it looks like. You can also see the new arms I fabricated for the throttle and cable operated clutch. All in all it took about 5 hours work but I'm pleased with the result.
Attachments
New-Pedal-Box.jpg
New-Pedal-Box-1.jpg