Speedo shows E9999.9 flashing

Richard and Pat

Speedo shows E9999.9 flashing

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Put Squeaker to bed and attached charger two days ago. Got him out this morning and noticed charger was still charging. Went to Colmworth, starting up to come home and spotted speedo numbers flashing a capital E with top bar missing and followed by 99999. Charge rate on Ammeter appears less than usual. Any ideas please? I am imaging rectifier and if it is it will be third in six years not including the faulty one sent out that was not an OEM part.

Weg

Re: Speedo shows E9999.9 flashing

Post by Weg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I see nothing in the installation instructions about such an error for the speedo.
Try un-plugging to re-boot.
A surge of voltage may have triggered self preservation for the instrument.
Ring ETB.
Earth fault on the charging circuit perhaps?
Is all load running through one fuse with separate 16a for charge circuit?

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you Tony.
Put him on charge when I returned and now charger is working as normal so far we will see what happens in the morning. Yes fuse lead joint was remade and so far all has been well. Much touching of hard fibrous material, holding on to my halfpenny and wearing my lucky socks!
Will see what speedo is doing tomorrow and will ring ETB.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi Richard, would your problems with rectifiers be something to do with the battery charger, why do you feel the need to recharge the battery in this way? Since I had the battery from you I’ve never needed to put a battery charger to it even after not using for a few weeks.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Sorted the t9999.9 Spoke to the man at ETB and the first digit, a capital E with the top bar missing, is a lowercase 't' and it means you have not tripped your odometer. Which is true I have done fourteen thousand miles and never once touched that little black button. :lol:
I think the battery is nearing the end as sometimes after a spell it does not want to crank quickly. I will put a meter on it and see where it registers. Fully charged 13.7 to 14.3 less than that too low to crank. :roll: