brake pad rattle

Spaniard

brake pad rattle

Post by Spaniard » Fri May 31, 2019 11:14 am

I have about 500 miles on the new build and everything is going well. There have been few very minor things to sort out such as seating position, pedal adjustment, building a fire wall under bonnet, front end alignment, etc. All of these little things make a significant improvement.

There has been rattle that occurs at 3000 rpm and has been annoying me and I finally tracked it down to the front brake pads rattling in the calipers. You can actually see them rattling. Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you solve it. There are no anti rattle clips installed as there were none supplied and don't know if any exists.

So far its been all smiles in the Type 3.

EricStarmer

Re: brake pad rattle

Post by EricStarmer » Fri May 31, 2019 4:05 pm

That's interesting - for the past few weeks I've had a problem where the car slows down as though the brakes have been applied, and I've recently associated it with a rapid clicking noise which seems to come from the left front wheel, although when I let go of the steering wheel the car doesn't pull to one side. Maybe my problem is also associated with brake pad chatter, also .

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Fri May 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Eric,

Do you have a Type 3 or 4? I have a Type 3 with the Lockheed / Grimeca style calipers. If I am stopped and in neutral and rev it up to about 3000 rpm I can visually see the pads vibrate on the pistons. Im wondering if there is some sort of a backer that can be put on the back of the pads. Also if I apply the brakes at 3500 rpm and keep the revs constant the vibration goes away. It is definitely the pads vibrating.

In your case the pads maybe bind up temporarily and braking and then free themselves up. Just a wild guess. Some of the other guys here might attribute the problems we are having to LHD. :lol:

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Hello Eric and Spaniard,
I had a problem with squeaking brakes pads, enough to make pedestrians shudder. I cured it after four years or so with 3M disc backing stickers maybe that's worth a try?
I get a buzzing / rattle when braking hard and I put it down to the small slots in my stainless discs.
All the best
Richard

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Spaniard - I have a Type 2, but have Grimeca brakes also.
Richard - Maybe the edge(s) of my brake pads are catching on the brake disc slots, and then they "tip" and jam against the disc, causing some braking - or possibly the piston(s) are dirty and not releasing properly. I'll chamfer the leading edges of the pads and check the pistons, and see if that helps.

Don't need carbs - plenty of other things to work on :)

Eric