Carbs V Fuel Injection

Weg

Carbs V Fuel Injection

Post by Weg » Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Ollie22orrex wrote “One thing came up in the conversations with Alan - i want to use an older carb motto guzzi engine and he thought i should ask about the pros and cons of this against using the more modern engines (seeing the T4 wiring post convinces me that i should not), also as i would more than likely buy a guzzi kit rather than a whole bike (and a car type wheel is better) he said to post to see if there were any car wheels out there for sale (not sure what sort is needed) - as i said i would need a lot of help.......
Ollie”

Your choice of engine is relevant to experience and ability.
My donor bike was fuel injected, I converted it to Dellorto Phf36 carbs with electronic ignition so that I can actually work on tuning and adjusting.
Fuel injection needs a laptop with the right software to make simple adjustments, and to most of us that means getting an expert to do it for you.
Stick with the mechanics you are comfortable with.
Tony

Richard and Pat

Re: Carbs V Fuel Injection

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm

I have Injectors on my Cali Jackal, I had the unit remapped initially to suit Triking use and not touched in 14,000 miles. Ask the Carby Boys how many times they have 'Tuned' their units or had them spit off.
Speak to JohnT and he will tell you which free app to download and you can adjust yourself these days as long, just as Tony says, you have a phone or a laptop.
Injection rules! IMHO.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

I was holding off replying to this topic but now there's safety in numbers...! ;)

Tony does have a point that carbs and electronic ignition mean you can fix everything yourself but petrol fuel injection is very reliable (unlike some modern diesels) and I like the fact that I can jump into the Triking which is kept in a cold garage and it runs nicely straight away, even after several weeks non use. It's also potentially more environmentally friendly as the fuel can be more precisely metered according to engine and weather conditions. I also tend to lose interest in tinkering once something is completed so fuel injection is perfect for me.

Dave

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Mon May 27, 2019 7:38 pm

My thoughts, when I was starting out on the Triking journey, it was to go down the carburettor route, it was something that I grew up with and enjoyed tinkering with. I wasn’t happy with the way the standard Guzzi carbs worked when cornering so invested in a Weber DCOE45; however, It took me nearly 18 months to get the system to work properly and now reasonably happy with the result.
If I had my choice again I’d probably go for the fuel injection route, basically, once you set the system to your liking it’s there every time you turn the ignition on, there’s plenty to tinker with without messing about with carbs. I think that the T2 and T3 can be considered having either carbs or fuel injection, although I now would prefer the latter; however, the T4 has to be fuel injected.

ollie22orrex

Post by ollie22orrex » Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

thanks for the info everyone, will probably reconsider bearing all that's been said in mind