Rear wheel bearings - car type wheel

BSA

Rear wheel bearings - car type wheel

Post by BSA » Fri May 10, 2019 10:35 pm

The NZ Triking has been on the road since August and has now done about 12,000 km, daily drive if the weather is kind.

The rear wheel is the car type supplied by Alan, using the donor guzzi cush drive rubbers etc and spacer tube.

Alerted by a clunk from the rear end, I found that I had run the rear wheel bearings. On investigation I realise that I have failed to check the length of the guzzi wheel bearing spacer against the distance between bearing housings in the Triking car type rear wheel.

The spacer was .4mm shorter than the distance between bearings, meaning that when the rear axle was tightened a thrust load was applied to the bearings, causing premature failure. Sorted with a couple of new bearings and a longer spacer.

Just a reminder for any ‘new builds’ to measure before assembly.

Richard and Pat

Re: Rear wheel bearings - car type wheel

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun May 12, 2019 8:15 am

Good point BSA perhaps it is something to put in the next Trifles Newsletter for Triking owners.

ollie22orrex

Post by ollie22orrex » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

This is sort of relevant to this topic (more later) but i don't seem to be able to post a new message. I have been talking to Alan and i am sure that i will be ordering a type 3 kit shortly but i think i will need a lot of technical help along the way.
One thing came up in the conversations with Alan - i want to use an older carb motto guzzi engine and he thought i should ask about the pros and cons of this against using the more modern engines (seeing the T4 wiring post convinces me that i should not), also as i would more than likely buy a guzzi kit rather than a whole bike (and a car type wheel is better) he said to post to see if there were any car wheels out there for sale (not sure what sort is needed) - as i said i would need a lot of help.......
Ollie

Nr.100

Post by Nr.100 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 pm

I still have an original 15 inch wheel with drum brake if you can do something with it. ;)

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Ollie

if you're based in Norwich then I'm close to you - I live near Wymondham and currently have a Type 2 on the road and am starting to build a Type 3. The Triking is fairly simple wiring wise so I wouldn't be put off, I made my own wiring loom up as it's all basic stuff. Mine use the injected California engine with an ECU, which has a dedicated wiring harness for the injectors, sensors etc so the complicated bit is all done and it basically only needs 12v in and the connections to Tacho, oil pressure light etc. It will mostly be the same with the later engines albeit with some wiring modification for a built in immobiliser etc but there are good wiring guides on the website.

You're welcome to come over sometime and have a look/chat about building a Triking.

Dave

ollie22orrex

Post by ollie22orrex » Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks nr100 for the offer but this then opens up another question about drum and disc brake and which is best........
Dave I think that I could learn a lot from a visit so if you could give me a ring on 01362 688552 that would be great. Ollie