Brake Problems ?

EricStarmer

Brake Problems ?

Post by EricStarmer » Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 am

The last couple of times I've taken the Triking out, I've been driving at 50 to 60 mph when the engine starts laboring and I have to press harder on the accelerator to maintain speed - this lasts for anywhere between 20 seconds and a couple of minutes, then the resistance disappears, the car surges forward, and everything's back to normal. It feels as though the brakes have been applied, although at no time during this do I touch the brakes. One time this happened I was in a location where I could stop - I checked the front brake disks and they weren't particularly hot - couldn't check the rear brake disk easily.

Any ideas ?

Eric

EricStarmer

Re: Brake Problems ?

Post by EricStarmer » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 am

I probably should add that I have an engine with EFI.

Eric

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Today I checked to see if there was any friction between accelerator and clutch pedals and the brake pedal - they all seem to rotate freely and independently. Checked to see if the tyres could be rubbing on something - nothing that I could see, and no apparent rub spots on (all three) tyres. Did find that the wires from the oil temperature sensor may have interfered with the throttle linkage, but the problem I'm having doesn't seem like a throttle problem - will take another run today to see if moving the wire/s away from the throttle linkage made any difference, though, and if the problem re-occurs, will check all three brake disk temperatures.

steveO

Post by steveO » Mon May 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Eric
When this happened to me exactly as you describe it was the handbrake not fully disengaged.
Could be something effecting the cable.
Worth a look.

Steve

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Mon May 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for your input, Steve. The possibility the problem was connected with the handbrake has crossed my mind, and I've checked that the "handle" is free, but maybe the cable's hanging up somewhere further back, which I haven't thoroughly checked - I'll look into it.

Eric

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 am

Checked handbrake cable - seems fine, no interference. Went out for a drive - same thing happened. Checked all three brake disks - not hot, and no smell of hot brake pads. I did notice that when the engine/car was lugging, there was a noise coming from somewhere up front - hard to describe, but a fairly high pitched "fizzing" noise :)
Now I'm thinking maybe it isn't a brake problem, but possibly an intermittent problem with the fuel injector on one cylinder - does that make sense ? Tomorrow I'll try and check the fuel injectors using YouTube videos as a guide.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue May 07, 2019 7:51 am

Any fuel marks Eric?

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 am

Are you getting fuel starvation? is the tank filler cap vented and not blocked?

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Richard - I'm not sure what you mean by fuel marks.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue May 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Tony - will check on that - the tank is fairly full which would aggravate that.