Build progress

Richard and Pat

Re: Build progress

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Well done Tony,
I must say the three I have been involved in didn't require any filing of the clutch hole, one needed a little relief on the front bearing mounting as advised in the manual though.
Keep up the good work.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue May 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Great to have helpful enthusiasm, good solid progress.
Keep it up, be on the road soon.

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Can’t stand (or understand) wiring so pleased to say have just completed ignition wiring and everything worked first time!! Will have to do some lengthening/shortening and tidy things up once all the rest of the wiring is done.
Can’t try starting engine, lack of exhaust system, but fuel pump works and there is really good spark when engine turned over.
Obviously got loads still to do before fitting body, including fitting front hubs and wheels, front mudguards and stays, all lights and indicators, and the rest of the wiring. Will be nice to see it off the stands and sitting on its wheels.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Nice work Tony. I found building the Triking almost as much fun as driving. The worst part was getting the inspection and registration done.

When I fired mine up for the first time it felt great.

Drive it without the body as you will find some minor things to address and it is much easier to do without the body. I found that the fuel pump started getting fuel starvation. I replaced the inline fuel filter before the pump with a new one and haven't had any issues since. I cleaned the inside of the tank as best I could but there must still have been enough debris to restrict the fuel flow in the filter.

I have about 700 miles on mine so far and still find myself going out in the garage in the evening and playing. Good times.

Enjoy your build. It goes by too fast. I planned on taking a year to build it but had it done in 3 months. Maybe I need to build another one! :D

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Fired her up for first time. Started almost immediately and runs well, albeit rather loud with no silencers fitted. Had hoped that getting it running might cure leak from pressure regulator but not the case. No leak whilst engine running so started to celebrate but then noticed very slow drip when switched off. Will have to replace.
Cheers, Tony

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Progress had slowed down but got quite a bit done in last couple of weeks. Replacement fuel pressure regulator fitted and set up (be careful with very cheap Chinese pressure gauges. The one I bought was reading nearly 25% out before filling with petrol and disintegrating!!), mudguards painted and fitted, brake system finished and bled successfully thanks to lots of advice from other members, wiring is almost completed. Not good at wiring but neighbour is pretty good and only have only had a couple of blown fuses, both down to faulty parts. One of the sidelight holders in the headlight was broken and shorted out, Alan supplied a replacement by return post. The indicator relay was also faulty and shorted out - Car Builder Solutions replaced it and said quite a few from the same batch had failed.
Will soon have no option but to start fitting body - I really am not looking forward to this job!!
Attachments
22A79036-277C-45D5-9ACC-B2F84D038ABB.jpeg
2DBEBB24-6C64-4EDA-9587-523C0F5FA567.jpeg
AF3C07EC-258E-4AAA-BFEC-5E1CA93A4EA7.jpeg
F53C7C34-7109-4D4A-AEAE-833DF9C9807B.jpeg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Well done Tony,
You have overtaken me now. If you wish to discuss body fitting give me a call.
ATB
Richard

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 am

Looks like you will soon be ready for a shakedown run, with body off, hope you can find a suitable place.
Snags ironed out before body fitting are much easier to access.
Fit the windscreen wiper and mechanism before the final body fit.
Not long now.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 am

Looks GREAT!!!
I did happen to notice one thing. Steering wheel is on the wrong side. ;)

Tamos

Post by Tamos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for all responses, including the one from Spaniard. Will check with Alan re position of steering wheel, but had assumed that UK had, as always, got it right.
Wiring is now completely finished and everything works, although I do seem to have relays everywhere thanks to my knowledgeable neighbour! Took ages to tidy and clip the wiring in place, end result is far from professional but is reasonably neat - it will do. The plate on top of the steering column holds a wired connector for the wiper motor, and the Cobra immobiliser.
Body next!! :(
Attachments
4EBA50E8-AA7E-42FA-818A-9E21F85637C4.jpeg
DDAAB069-3673-4AB6-9692-91E149B11648.jpeg
FD419FE6-FBEB-424A-A00B-65C444AB55E6.jpeg