Nova racing reverse gearbox

Spaniard

Nova racing reverse gearbox

Post by Spaniard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:06 pm

I finally got the Triking out for a test drive without the body work. So much fun!!!!

I did notice that there is a noise coming from the reverse gear box, specifically the front half. If I place the reverse box in neutral and the Guzzi box in neutral and spin the from drive shaft by hand, I can feel and hear a clunking sound. I would say when I spin it I can hear light clunk every 10 degrees of rotation. I am not sure if it is normal of is there is a problem with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ivan

Richard and Pat

Re: Nova racing reverse gearbox

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:32 am

Good morning Ivan,
Have you checked to see if the U/J is just kissing the powder coated chassis at the front inside the first bulkhead? I had this [T3 build] and needed to move the engine over a washer's width and move the bearing carrier too. It now clears perfectly.
It is advisable to glue a square of rubber mat or sheet alongside the reverse box between it and the chassis tunnel.
Both front and rear U/J through bulkheads need a little setting up. Just occasionally it is necessary to elongate the mounting holes a tad too. I once in the early days moved to swing arm over too far and created my own problem. Easily solved by adjusting back again.
Let me know how you get on.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello Richard and Pat,

I did check the u-joints to make sure they are not rubbing. I have isolated it to the reverse box as you can hear and feel it coming from there.

I sent an email to Allan and he mentioned that there is a noticeable “lumpy” feel when the box is new and it gets smoother as it runs in.

I changed the gearbox oil and it looked ok. I will run it for a while and change the oil again and see if anything looks off.

I would love to see how it’s internals are laid out to get a better understanding of how it works and why there is a lumpy feel. Short of taking it apart for curiosity sake, there is not much I can do.

Has anyone ever had one apart and taken pictures? I would love to see it’s internals.

Thanks

Ivan

jtdesign

Post by jtdesign » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 am

The box has a chain drive to a layshaft (below the main shaft) and then gear drive back to the output shaft. The selector lever either dogs in the reverse gear or connects input direct to output for forward drive. The lumpiness is almost certainly the chain running tight and it will loosen with a bit of use. Change the oil after 200 miles and after that it should be good to change at normal service intervals. I understand that the Triking version of the box has specially close fitting teeth on the dog clutches which makes it more difficult to engage gear but offers less backlash in drive / overrun.

John

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:04 pm

John

Thanks for the info. I think you are correct with the chain causing the lumpiness. As soon as I get it inspected and register I will be putting many miles on it.

I got a phone call from a Wisconsin State trooper about scheduling an inspection. He was doing a little research on TriKing and said “ that thing looks really cool”. Having a positive inspector is always a plus.

Thanks

Ivan

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Good luck Ivan.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Ivan - offer to take the State Trooper for a ride after he gets off work and everything will be a breeze !

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:34 pm

:lol:

Maybe a good idea, maybe a bad idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ivan