Rear bumper

Spaniard

Rear bumper

Post by Spaniard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 am

Hello Everyone.

I just recently got my paperwork from the DMV here in Wisconsin, USA. One of the things required for the inspection is a rear bumper. :roll: I have never seen a Triking or a new Morgan 3Wheeler with a bumper. I know the Morgan is 50 state legal so I am a bit perplexed. I am getting the Triking closer and closer to be ready for inspection and want to make sure I cover everything.

I will research this some more but if I need one, does anyone have any ideas on how to make one to pass inspection without compromising the tail section.

Thanks

Ivan

Weg

Re: Rear bumper

Post by Weg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 am

I put one on my Pembleton.
It does bolt through to a chassis hoop so serves as a lifting handle, makes parking in tight spaces easy. Don't think you could lift a Triking by hand though.
It's also a brilliant bump stop for when parking or in garage.
Attachments
DSC02291aa.jpg

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi, Ivan - are you registering your Triking as a car or a motorcycle - I registered mine as a motorcycle here in Oregon, and everything was very easy - I was under the impression that 3 wheelers were considered motorcycles in all areas of the country, meaning you wouldn't need a bumper (you'd probably have to wear a helmet when driving, though)

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:23 am

I am registering it as a motorcycle but it looks like I have to register it as a Type 2 motorcycle which requires a rear bumper. We will see what the state trooper (who does the inspection) says. The Morgan 3 wheeler, and the Polaris slingshot do not have rear bumpers or wipers and somehow can be registered in Wisconsin without issues. If they accept it as a type 1 motorcycle it should not be a problem. I am just trying to get everything correct for the inspection and then go back and make it RIGHT.

On a more positive note. I got the Triking off the saw horses and on the ground today. I sat in it, turned the key, and pressed the fire missiles (starter) button and it came to life. Getting so close now. Still have 14" of snow and salt covered roads so no test drives yet. I have been working on shock extensions to compensate for the small 15 rear rim. Paint is the next big task to complete.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 am

Hi, Ivan - I guess Wisconsin is a little tougher than Oregon - all the lady from the DMV checked on my Triking was how many wheels it had, the VIN number, and whether or not it had 3 point seat belts - I don't think Oregon has Type 1 or Type 2 motorcycle classifications.

I guess you just have to convince them that it's closer to a Morgan than a motorcycle trike.

Good luck !

Eric